• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-805 over-voltage question

mikeleeusnret

I have a question about running a 460 volt 3 phase 10 HP submersible pump using an MEP-805 generator. I saw another post where someone cranked up the output volts on their MEP-006 generator to about 460 volts because the over-voltage cutout didn't kick in until about 470-475 volts. He was able to run a full complement of commercial 460 volt appliances using it that way.

Was wondering if the over-voltage on the MEP-805 can also be adjusted up that high before it shuts down.
This is for a small agricultural irrigation pump where we are losing access to commercial power. My cousin operates it for me and he has access to an MEP-805 (not sure if it is A or B).

Anyone here know what the over-voltage setting on the MEP-805 is, or whether it is capable of handling this at all?

Appreciate any insight...

Mike

Guyfang

Staff member
There is a big difference between the A&B model electronics. I know the B model VR is rated to 460. Haven't looked at the A model. If you look at the TM's, you will find that there are no schematics for the VR, nor anything much in the control panel. Nor are there any suggestions about adjusting pots on any electronic devices on the set. It's pluck and chuck. I am sure you can play with the VR. There is also a big difference between the 805 and 006.

mikeleeusnret

Thanks for that info Guyfang. From the description I got, I think it is a B model, but haven't seen any photos to be sure.
Just knowing it's "not impossible" makes me feel that this may be a good option and we will probably give it a try.

Mike

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just my opinion but If it were me, I'd get an appropriately rated transformer and attach it on the output to boost the voltage and not run the set above its rated output voltages.

It may cost you a few bucks initially, but what is it going to cost you in down time and repairs if you start having to replace difficult to find parts?

dav5

I agree a transformer is the way to go. I had a similar problem with my shop phase converter set up. I tried to cheat by 20 volts and fryed a VFD. Expensive lesson. I bought a used 460 V transformer for under $200. They are pretty common.

mcii

Farmitall has a good suggestion and Guyfang has good tech perspective, the B sets are more sensitive to operating at the real commercial voltage levels, operating at 265/460 the set ranges will most likely "tolerate" the range differences, but its dicey, and not very likely at all if you move to the 277/480 range with out a near total reset of the interior operating parameters. While iot is cumbersome or not so efficient as we like the outboard transformet is a smoother way, cost funny I just sold a 3 phase 45kva xformer at the scrap yard and got a whopping $12.47 for it, but it was time to clean out the storage area and get things sq'd away better. But my point I see these type xformers at the re-cycle yard all the time, course then the price move at least here locally to .30 cents per pound but that is still a good ways from wholesale or electrical supply house pricing points.

I have an MEP-806B that I had to give up on for near these same reasons, the customer [city] wants/needs 480 volt and it was just too much effort to reset and align the interior limits and operating parameters, so I removed all of the control boards and back planes and went with a whole new controller, the set has 70 odd operating hours but I still went with new GAC gov controller and Voltage regulator. As my spare time permits I will try and retro fit or use the individual gov controller and voltage regulator, but those **** 48 pin miniature Molex connectors are a royal PIA to sort thru and get the pin outs sorted out.
good luck man.. mac/mc

mikeleeusnret

Your points are well taken and appeciated. I have not come across such a transformer yet, but will keep looking since that seems to be the most sensible option if we end up with the 806 unit. Thanks for the insight into this.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your points are well taken and appeciated. I have not come across such a transformer yet, but will keep looking since that seems to be the most sensible option if we end up with the 806 unit. Thanks for the insight into this.
Ask around with some local electricians. They might have one or know a source of pulls from buildings they rehab. Check scrap yards too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks