• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 805A Starts, runs for about 30 seconds and then stops.

bgrothoff

Hey all,

I have a MEP-805A that I've been piecing back together and have hit a snag. The unit will fire up, run for about 30 seconds then shut down. I bought it site unseen and it looks like quite a bit of salvaging went on. It was missing injectors, the fuel pump, caps, misc other parts and a good bit of the electronics (all relays and switches). It now has new injectors, a new fuel pump, and I believe I've got all of the missing parts installed. Everything appears to be functions but it will not stay running. It smokes a bit as well but I'm not sure if it would clear up if it ran for a while. It appears like it is shutting down because of a fault but I've tried running it in battle short mode and it does the same thing. I checked voltage to the injector pump solenoid and it still has power when the unit shuts off. I am not very diesel smart, so I bled the fuel system to the best of my abilities but I'm not entirely sure if it was done correctly. It has run for about 5-6 minutes at this point, always about the same. It does throw an oil pressure light after it stalls, but I checked the oil pressure switch and it appears to be working correctly. The link below show an example run. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

http://youtu.be/Kl5tzGSH-Bo

Thanks!
Brett

jamawieb

I looks and sounds like you have a fuel problem. If it was a safety switch shutting the unit down, it will still run when the battle short is on. Do you have a good fuel flow from the tank to the injector pump? I'm not sure about the 805a but older models have a check valve (glass ball) on the return lines that have caused similar problems.

bgrothoff

I looks and sounds like you have a fuel problem. If it was a safety switch shutting the unit down, it will still run when the battle short is on. Do you have a good fuel flow from the tank to the injector pump? I'm not sure about the 805a but older models have a check valve (glass ball) on the return lines that have caused similar problems.
Thanks jamawieb for the quick reply! I was wondering about the return lines. The line that runs back into the injector pump looks slightly kinked. I was wondering what effect this might have. Do these lines carry much pressure? Is there an easy was to test if the return lines are clogged?

jamawieb

Not much pressure, it's the left over fuel from the injectors that is not used. The kink could be making back pressure into the fuel system and the pump can't inject enough pressure to pop the injectors. I would take the return line off and see how much pressure you have coming out of it. It may run with the return line off, just make sure you can catch the fuel coming out.

Guyfang

Staff member
Walker,

What you need to do is stay in your own thread. This thread is long dead.

First off its against forum rules to post your problems in more then one thread, and second off, you have no idea if your problem has anything to do with a problem someone else is having. AND you bring confusion to someone trying to solve a problem of their own. Last but not least, you get more attention to your problem.