• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-831 question

DD58

Good afternoon everyone,
I’m looking to wire in a 24volt green beacon strobe on my genset. This is to let me know the circuit interrupter is in the closed position. I’ve been staring at the electrical diagram for DS6 which is the circuit interrupter light and S5. I really don’t understand now the 24volt system works for these.
On ds6 wire 13B20 goes to the fuel gage power and 13D20 goes to s5-2. S5-2 has 24volts until you close it then it drops to 0. How is this powering the light bulb? Also were would I hook up so when I close the circuit interrupter I can have my beacon light come on?

I’m ok at electrical schematics but am still a novice when it gets this complex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fb40dash5

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check out this: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/mep-831a-cb-indicator-works-backwards.213153/post-2494597

I've been staring at a computer screen too long today to reacquaint myself with exactly what I learned here, but it was something, and very much adjacent to what you're wondering. The long & short of it was I replaced my inop DS6 with a 24V LED, the DS6 has 3 wires instead of just 2 because the 3rd is constant for the push to test the bulb feature, I originally picked the wrong one as wire #2 & made it work the opposite of how it should (light off when "on" and on when "off")

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... I really don’t understand now the 24volt system works for these.
On ds6 wire 13B20 goes to the fuel gage power and 13D20 goes to s5-2. S5-2 has 24volts until you close it then it drops to 0. How is this powering the light bulb? Also were would I hook up so when I close the circuit interrupter I can have my beacon light come on?
DS6 is getting +24 volt power from the Fuel Gauge terminal M5-I whenever S1 is in RUN so K1-1 is fed +24 volts as well as DS6-1.

The tricky bit is the following...
The contactor closes when S5 is lifted to CLOSE the contactor. When the contactor closes it also closes some auxiliary contacts in the contactor.
These circled in red.
1726008779529.png

This enables a path from K1-2 to ground along here when S5 is released. Green line. This also causes DS6 to illuminate since it also is connected to that ground path.
1726009014884.png

When S5 is toggled to open the contactor the switch opens its connection between S5-6 and S5-4 breaking the ground path causing the contactor to open. When it opens the aux contacts circled in red open.

So your beacon would get connected to pick up 24 volts for its positive lead and the negative lead to somewhere along here in green.
1726009538621.png

DD58

Oh that makes more sense that it breaks the ground. Thanks kloppk. I was so puzzled when I had the set running and testing the leads from s5 why there wasn’t any voltage when it was open. Hahahaa i have so much to learn.

DD58

Didn’t get to the strobe but did get the trailer for it setup. Going to move the wheels 10” forward to balance the weight out alittle more. Also going to paint the rims black and the hitch green.
Then in between I’ll get the strobe wired in