• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP generator SAE housing sizes?

bimota

Anyone know if the MEP generators have a SAE standard housing? Please reference:
LINK DEAD
SAE provides international standards for engine flywheel and bolt patterns. I’m interested in adapting some water cooled engines to air cooled MEP generators (MEP-003 and MEP-002 etc.) heads IF and only IF the adaption is SAE standard.

I also have a MEP-903 which is also a candidate so and I am about 99% sure that it is standard SAE, I just don't know which size.

Last edited by a moderator:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't measured the engine yet, I'll do it this week while I'm off work, but knowing the MEP-002 and MEP-003 flywheel is 13 inches in diameter, I am assuming that they are SAE #4 bell housings.

Last edited:

bimota

SAE housing sizes MEP Generators

Here is some more info:
Guardian Industries - The Guardian Product Line

This chart shows the MEP-903 Kubota D722 engine as having a B-1 mounting though I am not clear what SAE specfic number. Many, many kinds of adapters for the Kubota.

The real question is what about the MEP-002 and 003? These motors are common and with or without generators the engines could be usable for pumps and other hydraulc skid mounted applications, someone might even be crazy enough to build a tractor powered by one.

Also, the generator heads would be more valuable if adapted to water cooled engines which is my interest for cogeneration.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took some measurements today on one of my spare MEP-003a engines

Stud Quantity...12
Stud Size 3/8"-16
Center to Center distance of the studs...15"
Inside Diameter of the bell housing face...14 1/4"
Outside Diameter of the bell housing face...16"
Flywheel Diameter Approximately...12 1/2" +/-

From that information, the bell housing is a standard SAE #4. The document you posted with standard flywheel dimensions doesn't correspond to anything on the flywheel, but you can always pull the flywheel and have it machined to match your needs.

bimota

Thanks for the research effort. Will start considering uses outside of the generator for an air cooled long life diesel engine. If anyone has experience use SAE standard adapters please share their experiences.

derf

I got a Kubota 12.5kW with a bad gen head.
I found a like new, takeoff Marathon gen head on ebay for $500.
A coach company switched out the single phase head for a three phase head on a new coach. The head came with an AVR.
Unfortunately the head was one SAE pattern and the bell housing was another. After looking for a different bell housing and finding nothing affordable I made and adapter ring and mated the two together. It seems to work pretty well.
Kubota wanted $6k for a new gen head.