• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP pressure washer

bchauvette

I'm in the process of fabricating a mega pressure washer. 5,000 psi/5gpm min. This configuration requires at lest 21 HP. My thinking was to get a large engine, run the engine slow and pully up the rpm to the required 3,400 rpm trough a jack shaft. I though I was going to use a MEP-003 but much to my shock they are only rated at 17 hp at 1,800 rpm. Surly that can't be right. No way can you get 10KW out of 17 hp. The rated 1,800 rpm is slow. So I guess the questions is is there a rpm/hp power curve chart anywhere? Can I easily bump up the RPM? What flaws do you see in this scheme? any advice would be appreciated. Anybody have a good running but no power out MEP-003 close to Easley SC 29640?

http://greenmountaingenerators.com/diesel-generators-mep002a-mep003/

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Your pump HP requirement numbers are based on a gas engine aren't they? I'm 100% that a MEP-003 engine would have no problem pumping that. I wonder what the effects would be on the pump actually.

They can be spun a little faster. But diesels aren't meant to run double their rated speed.

Bonus points if you setup a burner setup that uses diesel fuel to heat the water.

Ratch

1 kw = 1.3 hp, so 10kw = 13hp. 17hp gives it head room up to 13kw, but I think its probably capable of a little more. I'd think if you're going to increase the rpm via pulley reduction, you'd need to know the engines torque output, which is probably pretty good as a diesel.
Sounds like an interesting project.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wayne Harris in Georgia, had a pressure washer sitting in his back yard based on the 4a084 military standard engine when I was visiting some years ago, self contained with a water tank also. It was a military surplus item...

dependable

Am pretty sure the 003 motor was not designed for side load of belt. Often industrial motors that are have ball bearings on output shaft. It is a pretty tough motor, so it might be OK, or you could try to fit in a pillow block on back.

Ray70

Sounds like an awesome idea. The 003 motor should be plenty of power for your project. Remember, HP ratings are not equivalent across the board for gas, diesel, electric and hydraulic motors. I don't think you need a jackshaft setup to get the speed up where you need it, just a pulley on the motor and one half its size on the pump. Probably going to need at least double belt pulleys. Adding a jackshaft will mean bearings, more friction and more areas for failure. I'd try designing it with just 2 pulleys. A gear drive or chain drive would work too, but lack of lubrication would be another failure point, belts would be more reliable. Use good quality steel or cast iron pulleys, not cheap aluminum ones. Keep us up to date, we love pictures too!

glassk

Max Pressure: 5000 PSIMax Flow: 5.0 GPM
Engine: 27 HP Kohler OHV w/ Electric Start (3 Year Warranty on Parts and Labor).
PUMP: Triplex ceramic plunger belt driven pump. (5 Year Warranty).
FRAME: Stainless Steel frame with lifetime warranty.
WATER INLET: Unit needs to be positively fed. (Water tanks are necessary)
50’ Steel Braided Pressure Hose
Gun and wand assembly with nozzle variety
FUEL TANK: 11 Gallon fuel tank with installed filter.
Features: Adjustable soap injector.
Pressure Relief
Adjustable pressure
Thermal Relief
Key start engine with a safety shut down.

http://www.ultimatewasher.com/high-pressure-washer.htm
That one has a 27 hp diesel might get an idea or two from it's construction

Ray70

Do you already have the pump you plan to use or do you need to buy one still?
If you still need to buy it, why not go with a lower RPM pump so you can make it a direct drive?

Keith_J

The military rating is hot and high altitude. A 003a should produce 25+ HP at 1800 RPM, it is a 4 cylinder 140 cubic inch engine. If it were gasoline, it would be good for 40+ HP at 1800 RPM.

1800 Diesel

The TM values for HP are: 16 HP @ 1800 RPM or 18 HP @ 2000 RPM, but these values are based on 5000' elevation. Ignoring temperature changes that affect HP, but adding 3% per 1000' decrease in elevation (back to sea level) and if my calcs are correct, the HP ratings would be 18.4 & 20.7 respectively. For your specific elevation in SC, deduct 3% per 1000' from these numbers. Sounds like if you limited the RPM to 2000 you'd be pretty close to the 21 HP minimum you needed. Also, a larger oil cooler may be in order for continuous use.

Kevin

Last edited:

Isaac-1

Onan rated the 3.25 inch bore 120 cu inch DJC civilian engine at 21.8 HP, the MEP-003a adds an oil cooler to that engine, and a .25 inch larger bored out displacement of 140 cu inch , so you should be good.

Ike

p.s. there was no Civilian 3.5 inch air cooled diesel J series 4 cylinder, but there was a water cooled RDJF which was rated at 32 BHP

Last edited:

Wishlist

I have generator with a PTO attached to the back of the power head, it spins hydraulic pump, maybe a system like that would work. it uses a rubber coupling to attach the pump.

Jimc

i have a 4000psi 4gpm Hot unit and that runs off a 13hp honda. thats not 1/2 the engine the 003 is. i doubt you will have a problem squeezing an extra 1000psi and 1 gpm out of it. interesting project though. keep us posted on your progress.

Keith_J

Yep, my 4k PSI, 4 GPM pressure washer is powered by a 390 GX Honda. That is rated at 13 Hp, 24 cubic inches at 3600 RPM. At half that speed, the diesel should make easily 1/4 Hp per cubic inch, that is 35 Hp. Now a worn MEP 003a engine might only make 20 Hp.

The bigger issue would be the gear box to increase speed to 3600 RPM.

bchauvette

You's Guys are AWESOME!!!!! This is exactly what discussion groups are all about.

"Your pump HP requirement numbers are based on a gas engine aren't they?"
"Remember, HP ratings are not equivalent across the board for gas, diesel, electric and hydraulic motors. "
"The military rating is hot and high altitude. A 003a should produce 25+ HP at 1800 RPM"
Just buy looking at the engine you can tell it will work. I'm also thinking a governor-ed system compared to locked down throttle especially with the torque of a diesel engine makes a difference.

"1 kw = 1.3 hp, so 10kw = 13hp. 17hp gives it head room up to 13kw,"

Great info. all the engines at Northern Tool have displacement not horse power. got a formula for that?

"Am pretty sure the 003 motor was not designed for side load of belt. "
"Adding a jack-shaft will mean bearings, more friction and more areas for failure
"
I was concerned with side loading the pump but not the engine. Was going to mount the pump to the end of the jack shaft.

and the winner is.......
"If you still need to buy it, why not go with a lower RPM pump so you can make it a direct drive? "
"I have generator with a PTO attached to the back of the power head"
Didn't even think to look for a lower RPM pump. Didn't know they existed. Now with confidence that there is enough Power at 1,700 rpm this is the way to go.
http://arnorthamerica.com/sxpumps/sxwa55g50pg1.html

i have a 4000psi 4gpm Hot unit and that runs off a 13hp honda.
I currently have a 4000/4 with a Kohler engine and a AR pump. I was a factory trained air cooled engine tech in a previous life. Kohler, Wisconsin, Onan, Briggs, Kubota etc. At that time Kohler was a respectful engine. The one on my pressure washer is "A Piece of Crap". I hope it is an economy model and they still make quality engines. I love the AR pump.

I'm surprised nobody asked why so big. A larger pressure washer makes an excellent "Hydro rake" with the yellow nozzle. It cleans under growth, reclaims neglected landscaping. wonderful driveway,side walk and curb edge trimmer with a turbo-nozzle. Using a turbo nozzle reclaims badly soiled cement and masonry (not oil stain) to almost new condition even blast off gum wads (Fast Food property). Brings vinyl siding back to new condition (don't even touch the wood work). Oh by the way it makes an awesome pressure washer:)

I'm concerned we are getting off the MV/ME subject.

Keith_J

You forgot leaf raking. A large pressure washer is an excellent leaf blower. Also good at getting T-posts out of the ground. Or drilling new holes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks