• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP Trailers rated at 3,000 load capacity?

WARWAG

Hi All,
Well My brother picked up one of my three Gensets I won. The trailers have been modified to carry 3,000 lbs vs the stock 1,500 lbs ratings these M116 originally came with. I will post some pictures of the suspension here soon. For now here is what I have. Is this a common thing the Military did to these trailers?

Attachments

WARWAG

OH I see the difference. That metal Plate that the Military added! lol. I believe these axles them selves are rated to 10,000 lbs. The springs Im sure are more than capable of 5K. I have always found it funny that the M101 trailers were rated for 1,500 lbs after seeing how over built they are.

Nonotagain

The M116A3 trailers were rated for 1 ton if they used a 6 leaf pack.

The trailer pictured only has a 4 leaf spring pack, so unless someone removed some leaves, I don't believe the plackard is correct.

derf

Those ratings are for off road and rough terrain, if I'm not mistaken.
Just like the MEPs are rated for extreme conditions and will do more than the rating, I think the trailers are capable of carrying way more than their rated 3/4 ton on flat roads and highways. I wouldn't hesitate to haul 1 ton or a little more in an M101A2 on good, flat roads, with a proper tow vehicle.

M116A2s have surge brakes.
M116A2E1s have 4" frames instead of 3".
M116A3s have 4" frames and offset axles.

Quote from olive-drab.com:
The M116 Chassis, Cargo, 3/4 Ton has been used as the base for many specialized 3/4 ton trailers, such as mobile power generators, radar sets or tool collections. The M101 3/4 ton cargo trailer uses the M116A2 chassis to carry the M101A2 and the M116A3 chassis for the M101A3. Unlike the other M116 series trailers, the M116A3 has a load rating of one ton.

derf

The plate says max GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight - trailer and load) is 3000 pounds, not payload.
The trailer weighs around 1340lbs so rated payload capacity of 1500lbs gets you up around 3000lbs total. Makes sense.

WARWAG

The M116A3 trailers were rated for 1 ton if they used a 6 leaf pack.

The trailer pictured only has a 4 leaf spring pack, so unless someone removed some leaves, I don't believe the plackard is correct.

Hard to tell what could have been done in its life. Either way 4 or 6 leafs its still more trailer capacity than needed! Thanks for the info. I will check my other two trailers when we pick them up Tuesday or Thursday.

derf

Info on olive-drab.com says they came with 5 or 6 leaf springs. Maybe the "modified" part means they installed 4 leaves?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks