• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002 engine...I think?

ccf460

I just bought an estate collection. One of the items is brand new in the wood crate diesel engine( I opened it, but took pictures as I uncrated it). It appears to be new from onan not a depot rebuild. The openings on the engine are plugged. It looks new in every way. I have no need for this engine and want to sell it. I have no idea of value. I have no interest in getting premium top dollar for it, but also don't want to give it away. Can somebody point me in the right direction on pricing.
IMAG0091.jpgIMAG0092.jpgIMAG0093.jpgIMAG0095.jpgIMAG0096.jpg

Last edited:

ETN550

MEP-002A. Last year there were a fair quantity of crate engines released to the buying public. Some are showing up in the usual places for sale. Asking prices have been between $450 and $950+ The ones I have seen at the lower end don't last long at all. Somewhere in the middle is probably realistic for a sale without a lot of advertising or waiting. I'm not sure there is a positive way to know if it depot build or new. The depot builds do not always have a depot plate on them and the factory plates have been available to rebuilders as well. Either way both are considered as new to the buyer with no real difference in value. If they have been in storage 5 - 10 years they may require parts and labor to get running. Mostly on the fuel injection pump. Stil most buyers are enthusiasts and are up to the task as the dollar value at current prices makes them very attractive. They can be parted out for much more than the whole unit price. The cost of a fresh diesel of similar HP and quality is many many times the price. Their disadvantage is that the flywheel and housing is made to accept the military generator and is not a universal design that will accept other common generator ends. However, adapting is not too difficult, but some machining is required. So their use tends to be mainly as replacement engines for the 002 gensets.

ETN550

Sure, but I'm no expert on the pricing. Others here may chime in and be more accurate. Tear it down into pieces and list the items separately on e-bay or wherever. I would imagine the injection pump $225, 2 injectors $50 ea, Starter $100, glow plugs and manifold heaters $65 for all, would be the hot ticket items and get you off to a good start. I'm thinking those prices are half of new. Sheet metal, governor, shortblock, heads, or longblock would round it out for a reasonable part out without total disassembly. Maybe another $500. There is a lot of value to knowing what you are buying. A teardown with pics will definitively prove the condition of the components, as far as the shortblock and heads. People will pay for known quality but they pay less for the assembled unit because the actual condition is not known, only assumed. Same as parting out a car.