• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002 Exhaust exploded

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well being the cylinder right next to the oil cooler, probably thermal stress did it in. Hours might tell the tale here.

Any sign of leakage from above, that could have exacerbated metal fatigue?

Ray70

Definitely looks fatigued more than corroded etc. IIRC the muffler assembly is all stainless, so fatigue seems more likely...
Only other thought would be perhaps running the set a long time with a stuck open / leaking injector may have led to elevated EGT on that front cylinder??
If so I suspect you will find at minimal, an overheated and seized injector nozzle assembly in that hole.

Scoobyshep

Definitely looks fatigued more than corroded etc. IIRC the muffler assembly is all stainless, so fatigue seems more likely...
Only other thought would be perhaps running the set a long time with a stuck open / leaking injector may have led to elevated EGT on that front cylinder??
If so I suspect you will find at minimal, an overheated and seized injector nozzle assembly in that hole.
The original owner did say it got loud (hole does that) and after he couldn't get it up to speed.

2Pbfeet

I've seen something similar on other older diesels that I thought was just thermal cycling coupled with thermal stresss that lead to metal fatigue and cracks. I've seen it in both tubes, and castings.

I would comment that it does not take that long running a diesel in an over fueled condition before there are extremely high temperatures in the exhaust header / pipes /muffler. I've seen exhaust pipes white hot, and that isn't going to do anything for the lifetime of that metal. So, I wouldn't necessarily think that the engine has a fueling defect now, but I also would not be surprised.

All the best,

2Pbfeet