• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002a - CRAZIEST ISSUE! Need Assistance

sukoshi1986

Folks,

First post here... but its a doozy. I have a MEP002a generator with ~25 hours on it after the Military Refurb. Anyway, a couple nights ago this thing just starts turning over out of no where. Switch was in the off position (and I don't think the fuel pump was running, but I cant confirm). I had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop turning over.

The next day I pulled the control panel cover to see if a mouse or other rodent had been chewing at the ignition switch wires... Found nothing. Clean as a whistle in there. All the wires look brand new and no visible charring anywhere in sight.

Really looking for some help from the gen-set guru's here. This one has me stumped so far.

Any thoughts on what could be the problem?

Triple Jim

If "yes" to DieselAddict's post, you could start by disconnecting the positive lead from the starter motor's solenoid terminal (terminal with single small wire on it), reconnecting the battery, and checking to see if there is power to that wire.

If there is no power to the wire, the problem is in the solenoid itself. If there is, the problem is upstream. Use caution, because if the problem is in the solenoid, the engine will start cranking when you connect the battery, and sparks will probably fly around the battery terminal. (goggles required)

You can do this test with a 24v test lamp, but you may have to make that yourself if you can't find one easily. If the problem is upstream, you can use the test lamp or meter and the wiring diagram in the manual to find what's sending power to the solenoid when it shouldn't. It could be the "master switch", for example.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks