• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002A With low frequency meter reading

Bushwacka

Guys,idle stop.jpg Finally managed to get one pict uploaded. Engine is not running in pict. The tension spring corkscrew adjustment is about in the middle of the corkscrew rod. Moving the spring adjustment did indeed lower my RPMs when engine started, but after 1 minute the RPMs increased automatically back to hi RPMs. When I manually push down on linkage rod, RPMs drop to an acceptable level, but as soon as I release the linkage rod, back to high RPMs. Perhaps the idle stop and throttle arm picture will provide a clue. Thanks!

Bushwacka

Guys, I re-tested the frequency at the convenience outlet after again validating the accuracy of the Kill A Watt Meter. The engine is running at high RPMs and at a frequency reading on the Kill A Watt meter as 94-97. The frequency gauge on the gen set reads at 53-55. When I reduce the RPMs manually,( pushing down on the adjustment rod beside the fuel injector pump) to what I think is about 1800 RPMs, I get a frequency reading of about 38-42. When the adjustment rod is released, it slowly revs back up to high RPMs. The adjustment rod is spring loaded and compresses and releases. The linkage into the fuel injector pump is firm and appears functional. Next I blew out the fuel return line to ensure it was not creating backpressure and checked the fuel tank vent in cap (open). Previously when I started the gen set, ( first 6-15 starts, I got a voltage reading of around 230 that I could adjust) Now I get no reading at all on the volt gauge. Any idea what is causing the hi RPMs now and no voltage output registering on the gauge? I am holding the start switch to flash before I let go. Of course as you guys note, fix the high RPMS before I throw a rod. Thanks! Where to from here?

Triple Jim

One possibility of many is that the very high RPM caused a regulator failure. Since the regulator on an 002A or 003A regulates by supplying current to CVT1 to reduce generator output, if the engine were running very fast like is has been, the regulator may have had to increase its output a lot to keep the voltage down. If T3, the output transistor, failed shorted, it could put so much current through CVT1 that the generator output went to zero. It sounds far fetched, but I had a regulator fail that way, although not from engine overspeed.

Jimc

i have an 002 here now that a guy dropped off for me to work on. its doing something similar with the rpm as your but not quite that bad. with the throttle all the way in its runnin around 63hz. i managed to get it down by adjusting the governor spring so its down low on the adjustment and i also slid the top of of the spring loaded brass connector linkage back in the slot a bit. now i know i should not have to do this and its not right so its just a bandaid at this point until i find the real issue. he had a broken bowtie in the ip which i fixed and i went through the whole pump so i know thats good. next thing thats going to happen is the injectors are coming out and going to storeman. its quite possible that those are the culprit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks