• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003 with Governor/Throttle/Fuel Solenoid Issues

bemdh8

Hello all. Although I have never formally introduced myself on the forum, countless hours have been spent scouring threads about MEP gensets over the past couple years. Read most of the 003 TM, as well. There is so much knowledge on this forum, it's unreal. Thanks for everything, so far.

On to the issues with my genset that I cannot find the answers to resolve.

I purchased the MEP003 in January of 2014. It had a lot of hours (approx. 8200), but ran like a top and generated good electric power. I started it monthly, and all was well until I stopped starting it routinely. Life happens. It sat for approx. a year without being started. When tried at that time, it would turn over but not start. After some research, I used a screwdriver to pry up on the fuel cutoff solenoid and she then came to life. I didn't take it any farther than that, at the time.

Now, I'm back trying to get it to run about one year later, again. I have put fresh fuel and PS in it, pry up on the solenoid, and got it started. But the governor linkage is so stiff/sticky that it won't regulate the engine speed. When I try to do it manually, it'll get really fast, then I'll try to correct it with a very minor adjustment and it'll almost slow to a stop. The hertz meter also appears to be hunting, and goes back and forth from the left to right sides of the meter. Can't get it dialed in on 60hz.

The source of the stiffness seems (aside from the solenoid not working properly), seems to be from where the linkage goes in behind the IP. I can't find any info on how to free it up. The photo shows the parts I'm talking about circled in red. There were two small springs that I removed from the unit for photos. They run where the blue lines are and keep tension on the linkage. Aftermarket, I suppose. Never seen them on another unit.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Brad

Attachments

dependable

It is possible the plunger control assembly in the IP could be gummed up. That would go along with it sitting for a while. You could try adding some solvent to the fuel and letting it cycle though in prime position.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It is possible the plunger control assembly in the IP could be gummed up. That would go along with it sitting for a while. You could try adding some solvent to the fuel and letting it cycle though in prime position.
I've taken LOTS of the m50 IPs apart, the plunger control getting sticky is PROBABLE. I'd add some Sea Foam cleaner to the fuel.

Guyfang

Staff member
You will also notice that the arm has a ball joint on each end. A dab of oil on them helps a lot. Its best to remove it, oil er up and work the oil in. Then proceed to looking at other reasons, if that doesn't help.

jamawieb

Like every else has said, try some fuel cleaner or lacquer cleaner in the tank. If the linkage is hard to move, then varnish may have built up on the plunger causing friction.
That's very unusual to have the helper springs on the throttle as pictured. Sometimes the linkage that goes from the governor arm to the injector pump rubs on the fuel solenoid and won't let it move it up freely. You can take some pliers and bend the governor arm out, away from the solenoid to let it move freely.
As for the fuel solenoid, sometimes when they have a lot of hours, they become weaker and need a direct ground. On the top of the solenoid, you have 1 positive and 1 negative post, I take a wire from the 1 negative post and run it to the bolt that holds the solenoid down, to give it a direct ground to the frame.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks