• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003A Aux fuel pump

Bo1

Getting my genset ready for hurricane season this weekend. Installed spin on fuel and oil filters and changed the oil. Attached 55 gallon drum to aux fuel port, but it is not filling the primary tank.
Pump is running, but getting warm. Unhooked fuel line from back of pump and fuel is barely coming out. Tapped on solenoid with no change. I do have 24 volts to solenoid. How fast is that pump supposed to be pumping fuel? I'm thinking the solenoid must be bad. Thoughts? Where would I be able to get one?
Thanks for any input.
Bo

Scoobyshep

Fleabay. Mcmastar carr amazon. I would take things apart and try to determine where the obstruction is.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I previously had the same issues with my MEP003A. In my case, it turned out to be air leaking into the line to my bulk fuel tank. I had originally thought the solenoid valve was bad. I tested it by disconnecting the lines, applying 24 VDC to open the valve and blowing through it by mouth. My solenoid valve was operating OK. If yours is bad, I have seen them on Ebay in the past. I'm assuming that you cleaned the screen on the bottom of the aux pump? If you disconnect the input line from the aux pump and run the pump can you feel suction by placing your finger over the inlet?

Bo1

I previously had the same issues with my MEP003A. In my case, it turned out to be air leaking into the line to my bulk fuel tank. I had originally thought the solenoid valve was bad. I tested it by disconnecting the lines, applying 24 VDC to open the valve and blowing through it by mouth. My solenoid valve was operating OK. If yours is bad, I have seen them on Ebay in the past. I'm assuming that you cleaned the screen on the bottom of the aux pump? If you disconnect the input line from the aux pump and run the pump can you feel suction by placing your finger over the inlet?
So does the 55 gallon drum need to have a tight seal on it for the pickup tube? I made my own 1/2 inch pipe to a hose bib on a 3/8 fuel line. (Actually hydraulic line) the 1/2 inch pipe fits fairly snug, but it is not an air tight seal going into the bung on the drum. I also took line off of the 1/2 inch pipe and stuck directly into the barrel, with no change.

Scoobyshep

The fitting need to be air tight. Its like trying to drink a soda with a cracked straw

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Chainbreaker

So to answer your question on how fast it needs to pump... As far as pumping action, if the pump is not already primed you will initially hear a "fast clicking" sound until its primed, then a slow click every now and then to maintain 6-8 psi pressure flow until the AUX tank float switch turns off when day tank fills properly.

Also, your probably already aware but just to cover all the bases for anyone else that reads this... your 55 gallon drum itself must be vented when you are drawing fuel from it. Otherwise, if everything is sealed up air tight on a 55 gal drum bung/vent it will draw fuel until it creates a vacuum and causes pump to stall or possibly barrel to deform o_O. But as Scoobyshep mentions above, all the fuel transport fittings & hose must be air tight no leaks.

With you having verified your solenoid valve as opening completely, it points to your pump. If you have cleaned the bottom screen filter then its possible your Aux pump internals might be gunked up due to non-use over time. I would remove the pump and try soaking/flushing in a cleaner, acetone cuts the varnish/gunk quite well. If it looks really bad these pumps can be completely dissembled and "usually" restored back to full operation unless they are electronically toast internally.

As an alternative, you could swap in your redundant 2nd main pump (assuming it still has one) to the Aux pump position with solenoid connected to it and test that it functions properly with a different pump. BTW, its perfectly fine to run the generator off just one main pump. Having the 2 pumps ganged in series are for redundancy purposes for remote military fail-safe operation. Civilian use owners often remove the 2nd main pump to hold as a spare for whenever it might be needed as a swap in replacement pump.

Also, if you were to replace any of the pumps...be especially careful when replacing the Facet pumps with other models on the market. If you choose to maintain & run the main "dual pump setup", you always have to make sure those 2 pumps are matched up to the flow-through type design pump. The original pumps were stamped with a P/N on their mounting flange. IIRC, the pumps were stamped "480517E" on mounting flange. There may be later pump models that superseded that particular one that are equivalent that are of the flow-through design for dead pump redundancy operation. However, if running just one main Facet pump, the dead pump flow through feature, is NOT required...that is as long as the chosen pump can produce the 6-8 PSI pump pressure and it will NEVER be paired up in the future with 2 pumps run in series.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks