• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003A Running The House Again

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We lost power again this evening. Happens every month or two. The MEP003A is up and running, powering the whole house. Started in about 10 seconds after heating glow plugs for 25 seconds. I noticed this evening, however, that the percent load meter is reading zero, regardless of load. The needle is quivering. I suspect I need to clean the rotary switch. It did this once before about two years ago, but the load meter started working again by itself about an hour later. I cleaned the switch and exercised it at the time. Other than the percent load meter, the generator is functioning perfectly, running everything in the house, including the air conditioning. I don't want to exercise the switch right now because I don't want to disconnect the load. I routinely exercise the rotary switch because I also use the genset routinely to supply 3 phase power for some of my power tools. I think I'm one of the few 003A owners on SS that uses 3 phase power.

Triple Jim

I don't want to exercise the switch right now because I don't want to disconnect the load.
Are you talking about the meter switch? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it can't disconnect the load. Of course you don't want to move the big reconnect switch under load.

Jimbo, I find that my 003A starts with much less drama if I use preheat for 20 or 30 seconds in the summer and more like 60 seconds in winter.

kavesman1

We lost power again this evening. Happens every month or two. The MEP003A is up and running, powering the whole house. Started in about 10 seconds after heating glow plugs for 25 seconds. I noticed this evening, however, that the percent load meter is reading zero, regardless of load. The needle is quivering. I suspect I need to clean the rotary switch. It did this once before about two years ago, but the load meter started working again by itself about an hour later. I cleaned the switch and exercised it at the time. Other than the percent load meter, the generator is functioning perfectly, running everything in the house, including the air conditioning. I don't want to exercise the switch right now because I don't want to disconnect the load. I routinely exercise the rotary switch because I also use the genset routinely to supply 3 phase power for some of my power tools. I think I'm one of the few 003A owners on SS that uses 3 phase power.
LOL. You won't be the only one for too long to be using 3 phase power to run tools. Just got me a powder coating oven off of GL in Warner Robins last time home. Gotta use the 803A to test the elements. Unfortunately...the only data plate attached to it says the heating capacity of the oven is 84,000 Watts Total.

I think I'm gonna need a bigger...Generator.

pic2.JPG

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the AC is on, why do you need a lengthy pre-heat?
Preheating for around 25 seconds or so results in the starter only being required for about 5 - 10 seconds in summertime as opposed to around 20 seconds without preheat. Saves the starter.

Triple Jim

Preheating for around 25 seconds or so results in the starter only being required for about 5 - 10 seconds in summertime as opposed to around 20 seconds without preheat. Saves the starter.
Interestingly, the glow plugs and air heaters are active during cranking on the 002A and 003A. This means that if you start cranking without any preheat and it starts in 20 seconds, you preheated for 20 seconds before it would start.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interestingly, the glow plugs and air heaters are active during cranking on the 002A and 003A. This means that if you start cranking without any preheat and it starts in 20 seconds, you preheated for 20 seconds before it would start.
I wasn't aware that the glow plugs and heaters were active during cranking. Thanks.

Triple Jim

I owned my 003A for a year or two before I noticed it on the schematic. Apparently this prechamber type diesel, like most/all, will not start without the glow plugs. Or at least it would be very difficult to start.

Guyfang

Staff member
When a 002 or 003 is hard to start, the glow plugs are the first place to look. In deep winter, when it was REAL cold, we used to pull the air filter. Then hold a heat source, (flaming rag, butane heater, heat shrink gun) in front of the air filter housing. After it started, (normally RIGHT NOW!) we would run the set for a few minutes, get the oil warm, then stop it and put the air filter back in. The Summer/winter switch on the air filter housing is good for warming the set up, but worthless when the set is warm and running. I never used it even when the temp sank to -25 celsius, or lower. Pre-heat the intake air, and that's all you need in low, low temps.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The utility power is now back on after running the MEP003A for a little over 20 hours continuously. I paid $1556.58, including buyers premium, back in 2009 for the generator. I recovered it from Fort Jackson, SC. It had recently come back from Kuwait and had previously been in Japan before going to Kuwait. There were a lot of papers in the tool box showing the history. There were also papers included that indicated that it was to be reconditioned after it came from Kuwait, but obviously they changed their mind and auctioned it instead. The genset is mounted on an M116A2 trailer that looked almost new, complete with bows and top. The tires were new. The threads in the tarp had rotted, so I had an upholstery shop remove all old threads and resew the top. It now looks new. I did have to replace a short length of brake line and I also replaced the shock absorber on the hitch coupling. The tool box was completely loaded with all of the tools and two new boxes of grounding rods. The sledge hammer and sliding hammer for the ground rods was new - paint wasn't even scratched. It also came with a complete auxiliary fuel line and tube, mounted fire extinguisher and jerry can spout. I have now put a little over 400 hours on the genset with minimal problems, using both single and three phase. I did repair the HV regulator by replacing a transistor thanks to Speddmon. I also purchased a spare regulator from Delk's. I haven't even had to replace any of the glow plugs yet. The Hobbs is now reading 713 hours, but the meter had obviously been replaced with a new one before I got it, so I have no idea what the total hours are. It was made in 1992. It still doesn't smoke and starts right up, even in extreme cold weather. I believe the coldest I've started it was around +5 deg F. but not sure. I got really lucky with this genset because I did not inspect it prior to bidding. One of the GL guys at Fort Jackson went out and looked at it and told me all about it on the phone. After receiving it, I cleaned the tank, changed fuel and oil filters and cleaned the screens in the fuel pumps. It started right up. This was definitely the best purchase I've made through GL and I've made a lot of purchases.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

Wow a 1992 vintage -003. Isn't that the last year the MEP-003/002's were manufactured? Sounds like you have a really solid genset!

My first -002 was in similar condition in that it came on a pristine M116a2 trailer with cover. The guy I bought my unit from said he bought from the FAA who he worked for at the time as an aviation accident investigator. Judging by the condition of my unit & trailer, I think the FAA must get pick-of-the-litter on stuff before it gets sent to auction or perhaps they are able to procure new units GSA direct.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks