• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP005A Spin On Oil filter

PeterD

Good thread, I'd like one for my MEP-004 (same filter as the 005). Those canister filters are a real PITA to get leak free.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking to swap mine out also (SGPRSMD). I did swap out the primary fuel filter with a spin on.

Rickety Bones

I think spin on is a great idea, however I would look into flow rates and over pressure valves.
also.

some oil filters and oil filter housing have bypass valves in them to assure oil flow if the filter becomes clogged thus not starving the engine of oil. I do not know if the MEP line of filters have this feature or not, If it was me, I would want to make sure that I replaced the existing canister filter with the same design and original.

My MEP 005a has some kind of spring and seat inside of the cover bolt and it also has lateral cross drilled holes in it, I bet this is some type of bypass system. maybe some of the corporals or generals on this forum can answer better.

and that's my 2 cents.

Private Adams reporting sir....

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes the canister filters do have to bypass check in them, it is inside the center bolt. Don't ask me what the PSI rating is though. All engine oil filters have this...kind of important.

You guys all probably know that I make and sell the spin-on kits for the 002a and 003a's. If someone can get me the proper information I can get the machine shop I use to turn out the adapter cups for the 004a and 005a's if they are indeed the same filter housing. The cost would be the same kind of deal as the other kits I sell; basically cost of materials, shipping and maybe a few bucks for my travel time. If anybody is interested, let me know.

PeterD

Yes the canister filters do have to bypass check in them, it is inside the center bolt. Don't ask me what the PSI rating is though. All engine oil filters have this...kind of important.

You guys all probably know that I make and sell the spin-on kits for the 002a and 003a's. If someone can get me the proper information I can get the machine shop I use to turn out the adapter cups for the 004a and 005a's if they are indeed the same filter housing. ...

I don't think it would be necessary to machine anything. The engine used has lines to the canister filter, all you need is something with compatible fittings (which should not be difficult at all.) I have such an adapter sitting on a shelf, maybe I'll check to see if the fitting size is the same on my canister vs the spin-on adapter. The problem I have is that I don't know who made the spin on adapter I have so I don't have specifications, but I do know that most hydraulic shops have similar adapters. If mine does have the right sized fittings maybe I'll just take it to a shop and see what they can come up with?

You're also right, all spin on filters have an over-pressure relief valve, and most have anti-drain back valves (not needed in this application.)

leedawg

I don't think it would be necessary to machine anything. The engine used has lines to the canister filter, all you need is something with compatible fittings (which should not be difficult at all.) I have such an adapter sitting on a shelf, maybe I'll check to see if the fitting size is the same on my canister vs the spin-on adapter. The problem I have is that I don't know who made the spin on adapter I have so I don't have specifications, but I do know that most hydraulic shops have similar adapters. If mine does have the right sized fittings maybe I'll just take it to a shop and see what they can come up with?

You're also right, all spin on filters have an over-pressure relief valve, and most have anti-drain back valves (not needed in this application.)
Agreed you could just take the fittings off the canister and then buy a spin on oil filter attachment and hook the hoses up to it.

005, 004 oil canister is sort of the opposite design of the 003 002. Just the top comes off of the canister not the whole canister off the base like the 003, 002's

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm really surprised that if a new filter base and maybe a bracket is all that is needed, someone hasn't done this long ago.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks