• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep016?????

Trashistreasure

My ugly little duckling. Scavenged a China 186 diesel ( knock off of yanmar l100) from a Northern tools silent diesel that stopped making power, During dismantling for my use discovered the cause was shorted out wires in the generator head to the automatic voltage regulator due to chafing. Tore the roter down to the shaft which I then had my machinist brother-in-law turn into a tapered to keyed shaft adapter. Found a go cart wheel hub that was very close to the specs needed to meet up with the GEN head fly wheel, again with help from my brother-in-law machined it to fit my specs. Mated engine, hub and fly wheel together and checked With a dial indicator had .004 total run out on the fly wheel. Mounted the rotor to the fly wheel at this point with the rotor free hanging had .012 run out on the shaft where the end bearing supports it, Again the rotor was free hanging with no support the dial indicator touching the shaft where the bearing should be again the rotor was free hanging with no support the dial indicator touching the shaft where the bearing should be. For a redneck I couldn’t complain about those tolerances.

Put it all together gave it a two hour test run with 4000 W of 240 (17 amp reading on my hand held amp Meter) baseboard heater no thermostats fullbore load meter was about 95% it handles 5000w no problem will take 6000w but it starts to strain. it has run my house for a 3 hour outage about 7-8 hours of run time with 50%+ load so far.

all 12v components so only 1 battery Made my own auxiliary fuel pumping system that includes a low pressure shot off so when the auxiliary can run dry the pump will shut down after about 10 seconds of air so it doesn’t burn out running dry in the middle of the nighMade my own auxiliary fuel pumping system that includes a low pressure shut off so when the auxiliary can runs dry the pump will shut down after about 10 seconds of air so it doesn’t burn out running dry.

also did the conversion found on green mountain to get 120/240 out of her. One upped it and installed a heavy duty 30 amp switch in the jumper required for the conversion so I still have the option of disconnecting the jumper and switching to other voltage modes without taking things apart.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks