• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP018A Genset Regulator---fried

miltrux

Took the beast out to test it and get it ready for the impending doom of hurricane season. This has always worked fine in the past w/o issues. Had a bit of trouble firing it up but got it up and running, and, as everyone sez, I have it set to run right up to speed--no idle. Anyway, had it run for about 10 minutes, then proceeded to switch the house over from line power to genset. Had most everything turned off in the house, so I went around and turned on a few lights, in addition to the garage lights. Turned on the house A/C and all was working well. For about 3 minutes. Then power went out, tho engine is still running. Flashed the field-flash switch: intermittent power but shut right off. My local expert (he's on this site and you all know him) gave me a, I think, heat sensor, to replace in the regulator. Got the regulator out but no such item on the reg. Turned the regulator upside down and the bottom is a circuit board full of electronics, and 3 or 4 of the, I don't know, transistors/resistors/whatevers are fried. One is actualyl blown apart.
So, 2 questions:
1. Anyone have or can direct me to where I can get another regulator?
2. Anyone have any idea what would have blown this thing up? Hate to replace it only to have whatever caused this to blow up another one.
Thanx in advance.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try Delk's Army Navy Surplus. They have a lot of parts for military gensets and usually they are fairly priced. I've also found them to be very fast. Good luck!

Delk's Army Navy Surplus
4705 US Hwy 64 W
Asheboro, North Carolina 27205
+1 336-629-0991

miltrux

Okay, never posted pix here before, hope they show up. They really don't show the damage. Thanx to a fellow member, I replaced the dinosaur with a universal electronic regulator, did a few other minor (but PITA) repairs and I'm back in the generating biz.
regulator.jpg

regulator 1.jpg

regulator 2.jpg

miltrux

It's from MTS corp in Miami, got it there at the direction of one of the members here. Only $100. I popped the fuse on its board (don't know how but there seems to be a lot of gremlins in this unit) and after replacing that, seems to work fine.

Isaac-1

Price range on the SX460 Chinese knock offs start around $60 or so on ebay and go up to about $300+ for a real made in the UK Stamford Newage SX460. Some of the copies are built better than others, some are sold as cheaper than brand name direct replacement regulators by reputable companies like flight systems, ASAP, etc.

Ike

miltrux

Yeah, this seems to do the trick. Amazing to me that this little box (it's a bit larger than a deck of cards) can do the job of that loaf-of-bread-sized beast that it replaces. And for substantially less than it's stock replacement. And is much more readily available than an original part. BTW, thanx to panzerwillie who gave me all the details and advice, could not have done this without his help.