• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP018A Project

tlavite

Hi guys I am new to the forum but not new to generators. Generators have been a hobby of mine for quite some time. I recently acquired a nice running MEP018A 10KW generator in great shape with the manuals and everything. I got it for $1150 at a local auction I go to every week. It completely surprised me I walked in and saw it and started drooling :) I got her home fired her up and have spent the last two weeks learning as much as I can about this genset. A few days after getting the generator my buddy came upon another one exactly the same but only 3 years older but less hours on it he picked it up for 700 bucks and I traded it to him for 4 smaller generators I had in my garage. I figured I would keep the other one on hand for spare parts should anything happen to my main one. I wired it to my house as an emergency backup generator and it runs the house like its nothing. Barely even loads the generator to 25%. My question to you guys is I would love to hear any information and anything you guys know about this generator. It seems a little hard to really find to much info online about it as far as I can tell. I do have the manuals and I've gone over them probably six times. I just like knowing as much as I can about the machines I own so any information or fun facts you guys have about these would be awesome.

They fired it up for me at the auction and it purred like a kitten. After I brought it home and fired it up a couple times and did some tests I stopped and took the time to wire it into my house. When it came time to test the setup I fired up the generator and noticed specks of fuel landing around my feet... turned out the original mechanical fuel pump had developed a leak. Is it possible to get a new diaphragm for it? Or is there something equivalent to this pump? Its not to big of a deal because that night I wired up a small electric fuel pump to the generator and it seems to run it just fine. I took a fuel cell my buddy gave me and pipped it in to the generator as an external fuel source. One thing I have noticed is this generator seems a little hard to get started but once it fires up it runs like a brand new top. Is that how allot of them were? I haven't had a chance to play with the other one I have yet but I will later this week. Also the previous owner converted this generator to 12V I have no clue why because now I am pretty sure the alternator on the generator does not charge the 12V battery now. I am considering switching it back to 24V but I have no clue what all the old owner did to the system to change it to 12V. I assume the panel has some usage from the batteries right? If so how could he have made the 12V work? The guy also added a separate start and stop system to the generator I haven't quite figured out why the original start stop which works for starting the generator but not killing it. Ahh I am sorry for rambling on guys my apologies. Let me know what you guys think of my system and any information is greatly welcomed thanks in advanced.

Tyler,

DSC_0067.jpgDSC_0055.jpgDSC_0064.jpgDSC_0055.jpg

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site!

My 10kw genset is part of the xm757 project, but has been temporarily removed from the truck after generator head failure.

The conversion to 12 VDC on yours probably only involves the starter motor, since the generator/regulator is an integral part of the 4a084 engine and control panel system.

You will need the engine manual (see image).
The engine is hard to start without a good fuel pump, which is easy to replace. It needs to be choked when started if the automatic choke isn't operational. You may also want to check compression, which also effects the ease of starting.
You'll come to love that air cooled engine.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Big, loud, thirsty and can power small stadium. Well, stadium might be a stretch. They have their little quirks but nothing on the civilian market compares. Nice thing is they are too dang heavy to steal. FWIW US Carburetion sells an LP conversion for the 4A084A engine.

tlavite

Does anyone know of a good replacement fuel pump? either a mechanical equivalent one or a nice electric one... it seems the small electric one I have just can't keep up with the fuel it needs. Also about the 12V conversion since he converted it to a 12V starter does that have any affect on the 24V panel electronics? I have the original 24V starter on the other genset is it worth it to convert it back to 24V?

Also I found that page on US Carburetion for the kit to convert it to NG but when I try to add it to my cart it takes me to an error page. Also could anyone shed any light onto how much power I would loose if I converted it to NG?

Welcome to the site!

My 10kw genset is part of the xm757 project, but has been temporarily removed from the truck after generator head failure.

The conversion to 12 VDC on yours probably only involves the starter motor, since the generator/regulator is an integral part of the 4a084 engine and control panel system.

You will need the engine manual (see image).
The engine is hard to start without a good fuel pump, which is easy to replace. It needs to be choked when started if the automatic choke isn't operational. You may also want to check compression, which also effects the ease of starting.
You'll come to love that air cooled engine.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks