• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP803a Catastrophic Failure

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While running one of my MEP803a's during Irma, it appears unit 2 suffered a catastrophic engine failure. Don't know why, engine had adequate oil and coolant. Any ideas?

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Sods law!..My new all singing and dancing inverter generator quit after only 4 runs!..bought and fit new parts..we are up and running again.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What damage did it sustain?

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know. Will not crank. Apparently it has internal damage. No connecting rods through block though. Any idea what brand of engine it is? I'm going to start tearing it down later this week.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, I am not very familiar with those units.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do you say internal damage? Did you pull the dipstick tube and find metal? Are you just assuming? Are there any lights to indicate any conditions?

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engine will not turn over now. Went down on a low oil pressure fault. Oil is coming from somewhere around the front of the engine. Bummed out.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know. Will not crank. Apparently it has internal damage. No connecting rods through block though. Any idea what brand of engine it is? I'm going to start tearing it down later this week.
Its an ONAN DN4M (technically its a Lister-Petter DN4M... but its being sourced and supported for this application by Onan). What you want is TM-9-2815-253-24 and -24P. See attached.

Attachments

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engine will not turn over now. Went down on a low oil pressure fault. Oil is coming from somewhere around the front of the engine. Bummed out.
How much oil.. a little, or a lot? Don't stick your head in the oven just yet. It might be a catastrophic breakdown... it might be something less. Just trying to be positive in this crappy time for you :)

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much oil.. a little, or a lot? Don't stick your head in the oven just yet. It might be a catastrophic breakdown... it might be something less. Just trying to be positive in this crappy time for you :)
A noticeable amount of oil. I'll start troubleshooting over the next few days and let you know what I find.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you have at least two units then! Take a few days to dry out, finish up any hurricane booze you stored up, and go through your WORKING machine to make sure its in optimal condition... then move back to the problem child. Whats that phrase... two is one, and one is none? Use the post hurricane time to really get to know the working unit. Way easier to know how its supposed to work and run, before really digging into the busted one.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear about your generator problem. Good that you had two. I'm currently running on my MEP003A, but I only have one genset now.

Guyfang

Staff member
Russ,

Dont jump to conclusions. If you have just an oil leak of some type, the LOP, (low oil pressure) switch did its job. Stopped the set before it damaged the engine. Take a good deep breath, then investigate. Engine failure is rare for this gen set.

A quick way to check if the engine is locked up is to open the left side engine door. Squat down and turn your head 45 degrees to the right. You should be looking at the rear bulkhead. There should be a switch there. S10, the so called "Dead Crank Switch." It has three positions. Off, normal and crank. It has many uses. Place the switch in the crank position. The engine should turn over, but NOT start. If she turns over, it's a good sign. Keep your fingers crossed

Last edited:

eatont9999

My limited knowledge of these units tells me that the run circuit is open due to the low oil pressure cutout. The circuit will have to be reset after the oil leak is repaired. As to will it crank over right now, Guyfang hit the nail on the head - try the dead crank switch. If that fails, check your battery charge. Perhaps the alternator went out and it ran as long as it could until the batteries could not hold the stop solenoid open any longer. The oil leak is the most pressing issue to resolve first, though. Gotta have oil staying in it. If it's just an end seal, no big problem, those can usually be replaced without tearing the engine down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks