• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MHU-141 Trailer Ideas

Good Idea or Bad Idea?

• Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

elite231

Just discovered the forum. Lots of very useful info.
This will be my first post.

I have what I believe to be a MHU-141. So far I have made modifications converting to consumer bearings, hubs, electric brakes, and a custom tongue (Removable).
The pictures attached to the post are quite out of date to what has been done.

So far the main problem as I am sure most of you know is steering as this thing wants to wander anywhere but straight.
I believe the issue is cause by the type of steering. Steering dampers have been installed and have done a pretty fair job so far.
I am able to go about 50-55mph empty before any wobble/sway occurs.

I want to hear feedback to see if anyone has tried such modifications.
Here's my idea.
I am thinking of adding another square tubed "axle" above the front axle. I have ordered a 1" Grade 8 bolt and associated hardware. I also ordered a special bearing.
I want to install the square tube (at least 1/4" Wall Medium Carbon Steel) in the place of the front axle.

Because of the design there is already a notch dead center of the font axle where the tongue and pivot point attach.
Drill that out that notch. Line up the hole with square tube on trailer and drill hole in tube on trailer.
Run bolt through hole with bearing in between tube and axle.

Square up steering and weld tongue, and steering knuckles solid and (hopefully) straight.
In theory at least this would take away all wobble as it would be a 5th wheel or axle pivot steering.

Let me know if anybody is interested in this kind of thing and I will do a detailed write-up with model numbers etc.
I am IT tech by trade but hardcore fabricator by weekend :)

This is going to be converted to a camping trailer because of how crazy lightweight it is.
I use an ATV to move it around :)

Attachments