• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Might be looking to start over- built 3208T-deuce thoughts

Trango

Pretext: I have this deuce I've dropped a 3208 and a Spicer 6855 (.695OD ) tranny into. I'm overall very happy with the power it offers, but I'm wondering if something in the 300 or so HP range wouldn't be better for the hills around here (such as Vail Pass, one of the highest in the Interstate Highway network). I mean, I have 250HP, with room for possibly 300 with mods to the 3208, but that would be PEAK power.

Now, I have just bought a 9 speed tranny and I'm looking at grafting it in. But before I do that, I realize that I'll need to move the tcase back by at least a few inches, the effort of which is tantamount to moving it a few FEET back. Meaning - no matter what the distance is, I'm still messing with it.

So, at this point, what would stop me from buying a Cummins 5.9 or 6BT or similar, and dropping that in? Nothing, I figure. It takes a week to swap engines for mechanical diesels, and if I picked one of these up, I could easily drop a cummins into the thing in a weekend (as stated).

Does anyone in the front range want to trade me their old deuce and some cash for mine?

Man, I just realized the possibility of this build. My GF is going to kill me for even considering the possibility.

Does the group have any thoughts on what the ideal engine would be for a restart? Fuel mileage isn't a terrible concern, as is length of the block, and of course, reliability. 6V92? Cummins 6 liter? I figure I could trade my truck to someone for their stocker, plus, say, $3000 or so, giving me engine swap fundage.

Anyone want to brainstorm this out with me?

Thanks
Bob

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Might be looking to start over- built 3208T-deuce though

Remember, the 3208 is a 3000 RPM governed engine the B will be 2500 and the C will most likely 2200. You will loose road speed.

rizzo

I thought a 9 speed road ranger would bolt right up? somone told me that. they could have been wrong.

Trango

Bolt up is a relative term. I'm already at the safe compression limit on the stub shaft between tranny and t case - any bigger of a tranny would put me at the limit.

Oh yeah, and I already have a 9 speed road ranger, essentially. Road ranger is the company that the spicer tranny division morphed into after divestiture of that business unit. Moreover, Spicer trannies come in a wild amount of configurations - it's my awareness that I've picked up the shortest 9 speed available.

So, is it a "bolt up", fitment-wise, behind a stock deuce engine? Possibly. On my engine? No - that's why I went with a 5 speed spicer, which I'm unsatisfied with because of too few splits (much like I was when I drove the stock deuce tranny, but that configuration was more unsatisfying due to low power to be concerned with splits).

Trango

Re: RE: Might be looking to start over- built 3208T-deuce th

WillWagner said:
Remember, the 3208 is a 3000 RPM governed engine the B will be 2500 and the C will most likely 2200. You will loose road speed.
Road speed isn't a terrible concern with .73OD and 46" rubber, but that's good feedback.

I guess I may be looking at the cummins from a light truck... that has a redline above 3000, and you can bomb the hell out of those engines (if that's your poison).

Thanks for the ideas, guys .... in this case, I'm trying to build once and build it right. The collective wisdom of the group is much appreciated.

jeli

RE: Re: RE: Might be looking to start over- built 3208T-deuc

I'd go for the 5.9 but do the light truck versions have an SAE block? Not sure if the 9 spd would mate to it.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

There are both SAE 2 and 3 housings available for the B. Starters at all 4 quadrants, but there are a limited type of flywheels available for 11, 13 and 14 inch clutches. 152,156 and 159,10/12 pitch.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: Might be looking to start over- built 3208T-deuce though

Trango said:
Does anyone in the front range want to trade me their old deuce and some cash for mine?

Bob
maybe.. I'll PM you. That setup, if it's done right, yould get me the speed i need for me emergency work, and my deuce is already very solid.. just gear-bound.

Jones

Once you stop thinking Dodge pick-up w/ Cummins combination; a whole new world of industrial, construction, light-truck and marine 5.9 applications and accessories opens up to you. My ex-Dodge Cummins now sports a high turbo mount, two-cyl. Bendix air compressor, mechanical tach drive, 5.9 to SAE bellhousing/flex plate/torque converter set-up that takes the Allison AT545N I'm running in the baby HEMTT. And all of it is direct bolt-on; no fitting, filing, re-drilling holes, cobbling together brackets, etc. Just attach and run.

How are you going to clear the front drive shaft with the 9-speed? Is it not wider in the lower counter shaft well than the 5 speed?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Bob,

although It's not going to work for me and you out due to my stuff and the amount of special stuff on your truck, can you post some pics of your truck anyway? sounds like a cool truck. Makes me wonder if a spicer like that would fit behind the multifuel and not bump into the transfer.

hot rod deuce

5.9-5.9-5.9-5.9 ITS THE ONLY WAY TO FLY

Way better power to weight ratio than a 3208 and good parts around, I have a 3208T sitting in the yard and went out of my way to get a 5.9 and let the 3208T lay there.

Trango

Yeah... I think I'm going to stay with the 3208. I found an old Cat guy who's going to help me hop it up.

Oh yeah - I seriously doubt this tranny will fit behind the LDT... it's very, very long.

hot rod deuce

I think it might be wise for you to get the compresion cut down or you will have big problems with a turbo on an N/A motor....

hot rod deuce

after a little thought more gears would probably help alot, the 3208 has a small "power band" every one I have seen had a 13 speed behind it...

hmburner

Re: RE: Re: RE: Might be looking to start over- built 3208T-

Jones said:
Once you stop thinking Dodge pick-up w/ Cummins combination; a whole new world of industrial, construction, light-truck and marine 5.9 applications and accessories opens up to you.

I have a 6 v 53 Detroit with a 13 speed road ranger i can let you have cheap. I used to drive this truck and its "stick your foot to the floor and shift gears when you run out of revs" kind of engine. Might be fun in a duece

Bill

Trango

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Might be looking to start over- built 32

Thanks for the thought. This moment, I'm set on working on the 3208. That said, 5 minutes from now, though, I could be interested. ;)

spicergear

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Might be looking to start over- built 32

I hate to even suggest another power plant but what about a DT466? They're in a ton of trucks, been around for like two decades in all different configurations, and are in-chassis rebuildable. About the only thing that concerns me with the 1160's or 3208 CAT's is that they're not 'liner' blocks. I used to work with a guy that loved them but hated if an injector blew and they had to bore a cylinder IN THE TRUCK. I do like the fact the the 1160's and 3208's can be spooled up and don't seem to mind at all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks