• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mighty Mite brake lights

Mike_Pop

Ok...this may be a dumb question but my Mite doesn't have any brake lights. I checked for a switch near the brake pedal linkage but didn't see anything. Did they come with brake lights? Is there a switch that I can get so I can have brake lights?

I do have turn signals which are 12 volt and were added on by the previous owner.

Thanks,

1958 M274

Of course a mighty mite has brake lights! :lol: I haven't gotten that far along with mine yet, but if I remember correctly the switch is towards the front, not far from the front brake drums. I think the only flex hose on the vehicle goes to it. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll look it up or look at mine.

Mike_Pop

I'm not too crazy about the US military light switch. After owning a couple Unimogs, the German stuff is so much easier.

Mike_Pop

Joe,

Can you take a photo of your brake light line and post it here? I looked and I don't have a switch near the drums. I'm not sure which wire would be for the brakes.

Many thanks!

Mike_Pop

Joe,

I took a quick look at the switch. It seems to be ok. I haven't had time to crawl under and really check it out. However, it looks like that is actuated hydraulically? If so, it can explain why they aren't working. One of my front brakes is leaking.

Thanks again for the photo.

Mike_Pop

Bjorn,

The German switch is so simple. It's just one dial. Turn one way for service lights, the other for black outs. I've found the US switch to be very confusing.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got you Mike, of course the locking lever is to prevent accidental use of head light in particular during blackout conditions.
Which reminds me, the locking lever is non-functional (broken) on my 8x8, it works just like you describe the German one, headlights in one direction, blackouts in the other....need a new switch...

Mike_Pop

Bjorn,

I found this image on the net. This is the typical German switch which is used on Unimogs, Hanomags, MAN, Iltis, and more. Turn it clockwise for markers and lights. Unlock it by pushing in the slide at the bottom of the knob and turn it counter clockwise for blackout lights.

Attachments

1958 M274

However, it looks like that is actuated hydraulically? If so, it can explain why they aren't working.
Yes, it is a standard M-Series hydraulic brake light switch. I would start by unplugging it and with the three lever switch on jumping across the connections on the wire to see if the lights come on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks