• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mil Coolers/Ice Chests??

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys help me out here, what all was/is available to our troops in this regard? I know about the mermite can, those aluminum 4 foot square? ice boxes, and skid mount walk in coolers and van reefers . . . Anything else? I ask because I just spotted a nice Igloo brand huge plastic cooler in OD color at the sporting goods store; looks like it would be great for the back of the deuce.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Military has gotten rid of the metal Mermite type coolers, food containers, etc. The replacements are COTS (Commercial, Off the Shelf) items made by CAMBRO, Carlisle, Stilite, Lincoln, Nebco, CalMil, and a host of others. The are all made to international GN (Gastro Norm) standards. Food is now carried in UPC180 or equivalent containers, most drinks in LCD500 or equivalent (the silver bullets are still used for coffee), ice chests are also commercial (I don't have one, so cannot quote the nomenclature). HTH.

Reactions: NDT

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
In the late 80's and 90's desert storm we were issued orange water jugs like you see at home depot one per track, we just rattle caned them sand. We also got issued 1 per track a Nissan thermos best one I ever had and still have it, the spoils of being a PSG!

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: NDT