• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Tires

broknindarkagain

I have a bit of an interest in military tires, but I don't really know much about them.

I use my CUCV for driving around town and a lot of off road (desert dirt, rocks, water crossings, etc). Will military tires provide me any benefit over commercially available all terrain tires?

Can someone point me in the right direction?

richingalveston

most guys run he Humvee take offs for the price not necessarily performance.
They are more durable, they have a lot more rubber than civi tires.
They do not balance easy and they are not the best ride on the street.

you can get good take offs for around 100 each and like new for 200 or less.
compare that to $400 or more for a comparable size civi tire.

If you off road a lot and tear up tires then this is a good route for you. you will most likely have to get new rims since all of the take offs are 16.5 inch rim

they are tougher tires for off road use.

Skinny

I run mine for size, price point, and durability only. I do not really wheel my truck but the little amount I have, I would probably go with something newer if that was the case. Maybe the MTR pattern as I've had great luck with them in other rigs. You get what you pay for and the MTs fit the bill in my case. I think buying 16.5 rims puts you in a class of running takeoffs for awhile since it eliminates a lot of normal tires for your rig.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are running them on your M1009 you will need to change rims for the HMMWV tires (not sure if a 16.5" 6bolt is available) or change hubs or axles.

May be cheaper to run civvy tires.

broknindarkagain

I'm not so much worried about cost. If something is worth doing, I'll find a way to cover the costs eventually. I'm more interested in weather the military tires will perform better for what I use my vehicle for. I'm currently running 33x12.5x15 Duratracs.

If military tires would be better for my off road stuff than all terrains would, I would likely keep a set of normal all terrains for daily driving and a set of military tires for the weekend offroad trips. Change over tires/rims as needed.

richingalveston

if you are running stock 10 bolts on a 1009 the 37's will probably break an axle if you wheel it very hard. You also need a minimum of 4 inch lift which also adds the need for cross over steering...etc. etc.

33 Is as big as you can go on a stock 1009 without lift and quickly breaking things.

Al Harvey

I'm running Gladiator M/Ts on my M1009 and love them. They have a military look to them and have been great off road. The tread really bites and I've never had to put it it 4 wheel drive in mud or snow. (though I don't do any major off roading) Also they ride good on the road but will talk to you a bit. The sound isn't too bad as it just drowns out the motor some. lol Overall the price is not bad as I believe I got 4 for about $700 plus tax.

IMAG0743.jpg

CUCVLOVER

I have a bit of an interest in military tires, but I don't really know much about them.

I use my CUCV for driving around town and a lot of off road (desert dirt, rocks, water crossings, etc). Will military tires provide me any benefit over commercially available all terrain tires?

Can someone point me in the right direction?
A good place to find some new military tires is www.xmlmilitarytires.com/
Hope that helps.

Chase

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks