• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Milspray paint is garbage. Read on..

acesneights1

I did this separate from my thread about repainting so it shows up better in searches and no one has to go through what I did. This company and their paint is pure excrement. This started in Fall 2011. I prepped my CUCV and refinished the truck with Milspray restoration paint. I won't go into particulars but I followed their guide lines for prep and application. Well a few months later during the winter I went to powerwash the salt off at the carwash and the paint started peeling off in sheets. I tried to get through to them but never got an answer. fast forward to a few weeks ago. The bed was rusting above the wheelwells and also I had to fix spots where the paint peeled off . I still had a brand new gallon of it so I decided to use it up and deal with refinishing next year. I sanded the bed down with 220 and primed any areas that were repaired. I waited till an 85 degree day and then shot the truck. A week later it rained outside and the paint is bubbling off like crazy. When I called them they said oh, we no longer make that paint and basically told me to drop dead. They are a bunch of scumbags. It is going to be a nightmare and now it's getting cold and I have no shop to work in and I have to scramble to strip the truck again and repaint atleast the bed. STAY AWAY from this company.

Attachments

zout

And now you know why I had to repaint an M43B1 and an M38A1 - Like Forest Gump - that is all I have to say about that.

acesneights1

And now you know why I had to repaint an M43B1 and an M38A1 - Like Forest Gump - that is all I have to say about that.
I'm gonna call Small Claims and see if I can sue them.I spent over 400$ on it.
How did you get it off ? I am thinking of just using the powerwasher. That seems to take it right off. Then I'll hit it with 2k and a new finish.

zout

high phosphorus truck soap under high pressure and near steam - then180 sand it - 2k primer it to seal that (*&%$&*)_)chit over so it does not rear its ugly head at you again.

HASSON1911

And this is why I used Behr, Nothing but good news from them, that and now I can attest to the good reviews. Hope it works out.

acesneights1

Well to update, Milspray replied to my email about the situation. They said they will send me a full refund for the paint. Over 500$.
If they carry through with that then I will have more respect for them. They no longer sell this paint.
Time will tell.

Vintage iron

one thing everyone needs to know about all the new paints is: to meet the new VOC requirements manufactures have had to remove solvents. So make sure all the surfaces to be painted are sanded and cleaned. I always take my paint to the local paint store to be shaken too.

acesneights1

I had them paint some vehicles for me, but I specified they use 100% "real deal" MIL SPEC CARC.. Turned out great!
What did that cost ? I thought civilians could not deal with them for CARC. I would love have real CARC.
My truck was clean and prepped properly. I even used 220 this time to give it more bite. It was wiped down with wax and grease remover and tac clothed.
I always drain the compressor prior to any paint and use a commercial grade water separator.
I even used their recommended primer which any where I used it rusted.

emr

You are severely miss informed if you think you can not get CARC. Or its just an opinion you had and did not ask, there are vendors that sell it on this site, CARC is absolutely no more risky than any other paint period.

acesneights1

You are severely miss informed if you think you can not get CARC. Or its just an opinion you had and did not ask, there are vendors that sell it on this site, CARC is absolutely no more risky than any other paint period.
Milspray told me CARC can only be sold to Govt contractors and I needed a cage code. If you know where I can get it please either link or PM me.
For now I bought the Aervoe but it was cheap and can always use it for another project. UI would love to paint this with real CARC.
On an update note Milspray did refund ALL my money. 512$ for the paint and shipping so even though I am not happy about all the extra work I have to do that was still pretty good of them considering I bought it 2 yrs ago.

insas

Which vendors here sell carc? You could pm me if you prefer... I'm having a hard time coming up with 33303 sand.

Thanks!

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've bought it from Sherwin Williams Industrail many times. only difficulty is finding a store that has it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks