• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Milton after action

Scoobyshep

First hurricane power outage after joining the MEP clan, and it was a "fun" one. Wind finally took the power down at about 5am, and the 004 (yes its oversized, but it was cheap and available) decided it was gonna give me grief. heard a loud pop and was greeted by a nice and toasty fire. something in one of the c plugs in the special relay box decided that it no longer wished to be insulated and released the magic smoke. After getting that contained and in a safe state, I still needed to address the lack of power issue. Fortunately I am the prepared type and had a freshly serviced 003 in my trailer and parked at my workshop just a quarter mile away. She ran 36 hours without a complaint. Since I need to do some serious work to the 004 and replace the shed, I am strongly considering repurposing the 004 and moving the 003 in.

Stay safe out there, Check your gear, check it often and enjoy a cold beer

Chainbreaker

Yep, I understand your situation having been through a hurricane living in Lakeland, Florida in my youth. When hurricane Donna hit, we were without power for over a week +. No generator... just candles & flashlights plus bathtub water to flush the toilets & dad grilling on the BBQ every night.

That lesson is probably why I became a "generator hoarder" later in life! We don't have hurricanes on West Coast, however ice storms, fires & high winds have randomly taken out our power fairly frequently unfortunately.

Scoobyshep

Our power is back after just shy of three days on the genset. What a huge difference in comfort it makes to have good backup power!
You never realize how bad they suck till you live through one.

Every hurricane I get all sorts of new friends that need generator hookups. Or the one I didn't like very much that needed his set serviced (out of spec frequency) and waited till the last moment to tell me, I couldn't talk him through it so I had to drive out there under the promise (bribe) of a steak dinner. Idle screw 1\4 turn to the left for steak. Best pay rate ever

Guyfang

Staff member
There are some wires to the A5 card. Look at the back and front of A5. Almost he rest of the wires just co to other boxes, at a quick glance. Never saw a J10 or assorted wires burn. P1, oh yeah.

Scoobyshep

There are some wires to the A5 card. Look at the back and front of A5. Almost he rest of the wires just co to other boxes, at a quick glance. Never saw a J10 or assorted wires burn. P1, oh yeah.
A5 looks ok

Attachments

2Pbfeet

I am guessing now, but would say the problem did not originate in the S/P Relay box. No sense looking at the plug, too much collateral damage. You need to look at the wire harness and see what burnt wire went where.
I agree. In the third photo above from @Scoobyshep there is a wire that appears to have burn damage in several places, though of course, it could be a stain from something else. That might be a circuit to start the search at.

All the best,

2PbFeet

Scoobyshep

I agree. In the third photo above from @Scoobyshep there is a wire that appears to have burn damage in several places, though of course, it could be a stain from something else. That might be a circuit to start the search at.

All the best,

2PbFeet
That one is part of the remote control system. It was right above the j10 connector. So far I haven't found signs of overload in the harness (didn't have enough daylight time). My prime suspect at the moment is a weak connection \corrosion in the c plug