• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mismatched gear ratios in differentials M998

AOR

if the rear end is fried you aren't driving it anywhere.
Either jack it up and rotate the wheels and count driveshaft rotations to figure out the gearing, or pull the differential out and pop the cover to check and count all the teeth on both the ring and the pinion to figure out the ratio.

Sometimes the wrong tag ends up on the wrong piece of equipment, or sometimes if a motorpool needs parts and they have a truck that's getting disposed of, they'll take whatever parts they need, and toss whatever the worst parts they have into the disappearing truck and call it good. Not their problem after that.

Without physically verifying what the gearing is, it could be anything.
most of the time there will be numbers stamped into the ring rear which is easy to see with the cover off when rotated in the correct viewing area its an AMC 20 mine had them just unbolt the cover no need to remove the diff itself rotate it look for numbers example 41 10 you divide the small number "pinion" into the big number "Ring gear" comes up as 4.10 if no numbers found count the pinion teeth and ring gear teeth and divide that way but 1 tooth off can get you the wrong ratio

rakhav

most of the time there will be numbers stamped into the ring rear which is easy to see with the cover off when rotated in the correct viewing area its an AMC 20 mine had them just unbolt the cover no need to remove the diff itself rotate it look for numbers example 41 10 you divide the small number "pinion" into the big number "Ring gear" comes up as 4.10 if no numbers found count the pinion teeth and ring gear teeth and divide that way but 1 tooth off can get you the wrong ratio
Okay. Well send me your info and I'll make contact about purchasing the part. If this is a private site ,let me know and I'll forward counts tong mumbrt

Action

not one punctuation mark...

azulrios

I have a '86 M1025 that has 2.56 (41 / 16) ratio. I had understood that the geared hubs had a ratio of 1.92 : 1 . I am not sure that I am correct, these may be 2 : 1 as mentioned above.

To remove the differential covers, I believe, one needs to procure the revised brackets.

REFERENCE TO; TM 9-2320-280-20-2 (CHANGE 2 – PARAGRAPH 6-52 & 6-53)
6-21. DIFFERENTIAL COVER MAINTENANCE - PROCEDURE APPLIES TO VEHICLES WITH NEW BRAKE ADAPTERS, P/N 10453002

THE BRAKE ADAPTERS ARE CUT AWAY, WHICH ALLOWS ACCESS TO LEFT CENTER CAPSCREWS

2530 013 14 11292207510453002ADAPTER, BRAKE VALVE LEFT AND RIGHT
REAR, USBL EFF 1 THRU 44824 (I ALSO USED THESE FOR THE FRONT)

Eoddave

My front differential needs to be replaced. I can't figure out what ratio it is on my M998. Where can I find a part number stamping? Is there another easy way to figure out what I have?

AOR

My front differential needs to be replaced. I can't figure out what ratio it is on my M998. Where can I find a part number stamping? Is there another easy way to figure out what I have?
If the ID tag with ratio is not bolted to the diff with a cover bolt you can remove the cover the ring gear should have numbers stamped in it which will tell you the amount of teeth on the ring and the pinion gear. If not count the teeth of each gear and divide the amount of pinion gear teeth into the ring gear teeth
example is 41/10 is a 4.10 ratio

Eoddave

If the ID tag with ratio is not bolted to the diff with a cover bolt you can remove the cover the ring gear should have numbers stamped in it which will tell you the amount of teeth on the ring and the pinion gear. If not count the teeth of each gear and divide the amount of pinion gear teeth into the ring gear teeth
example is 41/10 is a 4.10 ratio
Thank you Sir. I now have a project for this weekend.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks