• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mkt pick-up hints

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If picking up a MKT these are three things I have learned after a 1200 mile trip:
1) If it is not stretched wrapped as below you are asking for trouble, the wind will do terrible things to your canvas!
2) These trailers are really heavy in the rear, if you do not strap the tongue down, you will be surprised!
3) These trailers are much heavier than you think, even with the aluminum body, mine was still over 6,000 Lbs.!
James (Proud new owner of a MKT-99)

PS: I need a Left side vinyl panel, if anyone has one!

DSCN0109.jpg

Last edited:

mydingo

Thanks for the post. Going to pick one up on Tuesday only a 100 mile drive for me.
It's going for the ride home on my car trailer like you did,was thinking about using my m923 to pull it home.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should have taken mine, 9 miles a gallon in the Armada picking it up, heavy and a lot of wind drag when it is on the trailer! Good luck with your adventure.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How did the travel cover get damaged? I'm guessing from the picture it's the corner next to the tongue but I wouldn't think that was wind related. If the guy I already talked to falls through I'll PM you about my extra piece.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need one, I had a large tarpaulin on the front of the trailer to protect the vinyl from the wind. The tarp disintegrated, when it did the wind blew into the back of the trailer blowing our the side curtain at the seam, the thread just let go! PM me on what you want for the panel, the wind did a number on the vinyl.
James

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How fast were you going? When I pulled mine home from Ft. Pickett I had the old nylon carry covers, but it survived the journey with no problems. Maybe because I did the 325 mile trip in a deuce and never saw the double nickles on the speedometer.

Happyland1410

Thanks for the hints. I am going to pick up an MKT-85 on Monday. Thankfully I only have 1/10 of your travel distance (120 miles) to get mine home. I would have never thought of wrapping it in stretch wrap. I may have to see if I can find some tomorrow. I guess I just assumed the covers were made for travel speeds (which won't be above 55 for me).

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never got over 60mph, the thread is rotten from sitting out in the sun, the other side is nice and tight, I think it just sat since rebuild.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks