• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mobile Operating Room Trailer

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Here's the trailer I won from GL in March. It was turned in by the Uniformed Services University of the Health Services. It appears to be an attempt to build a light weight mobile surgical room that could be towed by a HMMWV from what I can tell about it.

The frame was built a little too light and it appears the frame has some minor cracks that will need rewelded. The box actually is made to roll off the trailer. The trailer has rollers down along the bed and on the tailgate. The suspension appears to be an eliptical spring system and does not have an axle going all the way across.

A lot of levelling jacks and insider there are bins used to store medical supplied. The bins can be resupplied from the outside without having to completely open the trailer or when set up, without having to enter the operating roon. The roof raises up using the jack shown in the center front and center rear of the box. Both sides fold out making this box nearly 15 feet by 9 to 10 feet long. It can be forked on and off from the ends or sides. There is no end walls at the front and rear. There appears to be a tent boot system used to cover the end walls but it's so heavy I figure it will take 3 or 4 people to lift it. I will probably figure out a means to install a wall instead. Overall a neat system. Has built in power strips and track lighting as well as florescent lights. In some cases it appears they went to no expense but in other things the work is slip shod and sloppy.

Biggest issues I see:

-Older model air conditioner
-Some trailer welds are breaking and need redone
-Winch is missing
-Best towed with a deuce vs a 1009 like I did.
-Lunette is for a CUCV series but I need to get a bigger lunette to allow a deuce to tow it. It really should have a deuce.
-Needs a lot of cleaning and some of the plastic has mold and mildew.
-The sides drop down instead of raising up. This is a design flaw and allowes water to get inside. Looking at installing a rubber flap on the edges to reduce this.
-Needs bigger tires I think.
-Needs more than 2 people to set up due to the end wall boots.
-Many of the more simple things done for functionality we done very poorly.
-No insulation.

Overall it was worth the money. I'm hoping to turn it into a camping trailer but it will depend on how much time I have once I move.

Attachments

m38inmaine

Interesting unit, perhaps is was a prototype/experimental project. Should make for a great camper project, plenty of material to work with.

powerhouseduece

Thats a nice trailer! I had on just like it at my shop but than someone came and got it :wink: I don't know what your talking about, it looked good behind the m1009! I wonder who makes a bigger Pintle ring?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Yep and just so happens I picked it up from someones shop just the other night with a 1009 because the pintle ring was too small for a deuce. LOL

BIG, BIG thanks to atankersdad, powerhouseduece, and hedelta for doing the emergency pick up and storage for me. My a-hole boss gave me about 12 hrs notice I would have to work on a day I was suppose to have off. The Taylors jumped in and saved the day.

Today Hedelta came and helped me open her up and clean it. Very interesting design.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks