• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mobilized s280 shelter + m720 dolly nightmare in the daytime!!!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I was given a M720 dolly and have been trying for several years to get a S280 shelter with the mobilizer brackets to make an enclosed trailer. Well the stars finally aligned and I had all the pieces staged at davesgmc waiting for manpower and weather.
AmericanWeapons and a couple of his friends came over in his bobber today, so with 2 Daves,2 Jims and 2 Seans we when into action.
First thing that went south was the front 1/2 ram pump, no problem got a floor jack.
2nd this dolly came without the telescoping rear 1/2 maneuver bar, no problem 2 guys with litter poles.
We finally get both ends where they are supposed to be and jacked up only to find that all of the holes to bolt the dolly to the shelter 1/2" shy of lining up!!
Has anybody else had this happen? I think we are going to use a plasma and enlarge the holes for a fix.
The manual never really says how many it takes to install one of these but on a hill in the grass 5 to 6mobil 003.jpgmobil 004.jpgmobil 007.jpgmobil 008.jpgmobil 011.jpgmobil 012.jpgmobil 009.jpg!

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Mounting problem solved, ended up using a small hole saw to get the bolts to line up, 001.jpg002.jpgso now shelter is attached to the dolly. Onto the next repairs/ problems there are various patch panels on this shelter and it appears that soldier A never read the 280 manual which states to patch aluminum skins with aluminum, pop rivets and sealer not sheet metal and self tapping screws not only that but never primed the steel003.jpg004.jpg patches. I removed one on the port side and found this. Off to home depot for some solid foam board to insulate the space and some sheet aluminum. Also have a hole in the roof where a RV ac/heat unit was removed before it was turned in, solving that with a 14X14 trailer sky light/vent I found on the bay.

BTW that is davesgmc using his patented "Gut Drill Press" to cut the new holes! :twisted:

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 720 is only good for an empty S-280, need to upgrade to the 832 if you are going to have anything in it. Oh, and always pull it forward into the place where it will be setup. Don't try backing unless you are fully aware that the front wheels will pivot in the direction you don't want them to go. Or you could wind up making up a whole new vocabulary of unprintable words before you can go 30 feet in reverse!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thanks Chis let me know what you want for a pump and if it is in my price range, I can pick it up at the Findlay show next month. Mike I am hip to backing up a drawbar trailer, where I am going to keep it I have a 40 acre soy bean field to maneuver in . My plan is just to use it for dry vermin proof storage down at the barn, but will keep an eye out for a 832.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Ok I got all the repair panels pulled, sanded the rust then primed them with rust restore. Scraped off all the old whatever the Army used to seal them with, applied RTV to all the mating surfaces. Got the sky light vent I got off gee bay mounted. Put the panels that were needed back on then scrapped off all the potato chip paint and did a down and dirty repaint. Before View attachment 424834mobil 009.jpgmobil 011.jpg004.jpg and now for the after using FS 33446 686 sand that I got at wally world for less than $22 a gallon. 088.jpg090.jpg089.jpg Got a surprise when I removed the door vent cover to paint and at one time in it's military career it went from an artillery fire direction center to a medical aid station091.jpg

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Eeeeewwww. I had a better shelter than that in GA. Got a little bit of a clean up on that one. I like the tires on the dolly--looks good.

Gimp, let me know what parts you have left. I'm looking for some M720 parts also.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a picture of neighbour Sarge's S280 on M832 setup. I believe he had to modify the top of the mounts slightly to work. It hauls well on the road.
I'll dig in the files for a better picture of each end.

Cheers

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Eeeeewwww. I had a better shelter than that in GA. Got a little bit of a clean up on that one. I like the tires on the dolly--looks good.

Gimp, let me know what parts you have left. I'm looking for some M720 parts also.
Yep me too but none of them had mobilizer brackets, the one I had in my duce was a beauty with AC/heat.006.jpg Gimp if you still have the telescoping giggdy
pole for the rear end I need it.

BTW M813rc where is Sarge haven't seen him on here in awhile?

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW M813rc where is Sarge haven't seen him on here in awhile?
He's still alive and kicking, busy as ever, and has a new baby daughter. He just doesn't spend much time on the computer these days.
I'll tell him you were asking about him when I see him tomorrow.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks