• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More Early Body Differences

Barrman

I already pointed out the different support systems for the rear of the front fender to the cab between 1952 and 1953. I am not trying to start another manual use fight either.

But, I started on my battery box and tool box covers this weekend. The 1952 ones are molded to fit flush against the front fender while the 1953 and newer ones are squared off.

I am going to hold off on the work until I get the cab back on and see if the old style doors will work with the cab to fender supports. I like the molded doors for looks, plus they are straighter than the squared off ones. The only parts on the entire truck that are better than the replacements I found.

Oh, looking through the 1954 and 1955 issued manuals I can see that the pictures in the front are almost evenly split between the two styles with no reason or pattern I can figure out.

Attachments

Barrman

Another difference I figure out was the way the front of the front fenders are mounted to the strut that sticks out parallel to the front bumper.

1952-solid bolts

1953-2" long bolts with springs on the strut side to allow flexing.

I didn't see a good way to take pictures of this, so I didn't.

Barrman

I finally got around to figuring out which ones I want to use on the truck today. The 1952 curved version toolbox and Battery door will not fit a truck that has the cab mounted rear fender support pedestal. That was unfortunate since the doors on my curved version are better than the square ones. But, I figure they changed the fender support for a reason 56 years ago and then stuck with the 1953 and newer version for 35-40 more years.

So, out came the hammer and dolly on the square ones. They are pretty straight now, just need to be sanded and painted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks