• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More Heater Kit observations/needs

m38inmaine

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After looking over the parts breakdown of the heater kit in the parts tm I noticed that they show an elbow(item 20)that uses the lower hole near the forward edge of the fender wrather than the hole in the engine side panel door. This would allow the intake hose more room and not be kinked by placing it on the side door. So now I am looking for this elbow(20) and the hood(18)as I suspect the hood would be of a different shape to accomodate the fender angle. If you have one available please let me know. My heater kit was dated 91, you would think these newer style parts would be there by 91.

Thank you

Just click on the image to make it larger.

jasonjc

I'm thinking of mounting mine like the A3 under the glove box.
With it on the fender its real hard to get to that side of the eng. 2cents

TacticalTruck

My '73 M49A2 has that style. I think it was factory installed heat. I have never seen this style in a kit. You will probably need to get it off a junker.
Jeff

houdel

Jason - nice thought, I'd also like more access to the left side of my engine. The big problem I see is that with the heat exchanger under the glove box, you'd have the hot air blowing in the wrong direction through the distribution box. In the original setup, hot air enters the distribution box from the left side. With the heat exchanger under the glove box, hot air would enter the distribution box from the right side. This may be a big problem, or it may be as simple as blocking the air duct hole on the left side of the distribution box and cutting a new air duct hole on the right side. But with the heat exchanger right next to the distribution box I'd bet the heater would work a whole lot better! That may no be much of an issue in AR, but it is a REAL BIG concern here in the cold, snowy north!

PWM

A friend gave me a heater kit from one of his parts trucks. It has the elbow and hood that you mentioned. Is the hood I have just a side panel hood cut to fit the lower position? I don’t have anything to compare it to. Another interesting thing I found on the parts truck heater was it was mounted as your picture shows with the heater hose inlet and outlet pointing up. On my friends truck his was on its side with the heater hose inlet and outlet pointing towards the engine. On his truck the air inlet hose had less of a kink in it. Hope this helps good luck.

Attachments

jwaller

I have seen 3 trucks on GL today all with the heaters on their sides like this. not sure why or what advantage this gives but thats the way they were.

PWM

After looking at my pictures it looks like my friends truck with the heater core on its side does not use the elbow that I have. If you could cut a standard air inlet hood to fit you might not need to find any parts.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 800 series 5tons have the heater comming in from the passerger side. The new cab i swapped onto my M52 has one of these. I'm planning on using a heater for a M35 and bring it in on the drivers side. So i can set the heat exchanger on tha big flat spot on the inside fender well. But seeing it under the dash looks like a great idea.

jasonjc

Yes my 530C fire truck does have a heater under the dash but it is a hole difernt heater than the rest. If you look at a A3 parts book you will see that it has the same heater as all other deuces it's just mounted in side under the dash like boatcarpenter is doing and I'm thinking of doing.