• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More questions on 5 ton truck

randygk

Thanks for the input on the prices. I see what the X stands for in XM813, (pre-productio) what does the S stand for in SM813. I know what S&M stand for, but somehow don't think this applies here. Although owning 4 M35A2's, at times it may seem like it. Also, did the 5 ton ever come with a sprague transfer case?
Thanks
Randy

poppop

I think the five tons only come with a sprague t-case. Air shifts it from forward to reverse and I think it only ingages forward in first gear. Not sure about that.

randygk

I probably should have been more specific about the Sprague transfer case. One of my M35A2's has full time front wheel drive- no air shift. Wondering if the 5 tons were the same

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M-39 and 800 series all have sprag front axle engagement. The sprague is shifted forward to reverse by air. Reverse is selected by shifting into reverse, forward is selected when the shift rail moves off of reverse. Forward engegement is in netural and all forward gears regardless of the transfer range. They can be placed into netural by removing the air pressure, some on this site have made that modification. The sprag allows you to safely have all wheel drive on hard surfaces withour damaging the driveline, it also allows for controlled steering when when rear wheel slip is encountered due to steep grades or excessive engine braking on slick surfaces.

Your M35 with "full time front wheel drive" is a sprag transfer, the shifting is by linkage on the first reverse shift rail.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks