• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More Questions

1. Where are the battery terminals located on a cucv? Are they post or screw, top or front, positive on the left or right?

2. What glow plugs to put in to make it a manual button glow plug system like in the stickies?, my tractor runs like this, and it's fine for me.

3. I'd like to have one alternator charge both batteries for starting, and run the other to a deep cycle battery and a power inverter for 110v power. Can I do this and keep the starter 24v?, or is it better to find a high torque 12v starter?

4. I'm thinking I'll mount both an engine and transmission cooler under the hood, with flexible lines and louvers to feed them air, thoughts?

5. Anyone ever mounted a hydraulic pump on a 6.2? I'd like to avoid splicing into my power steering for my hydraulic winch.

6. If I were to run tall tires with the stock axle gears, towing would certainly suffer. What's the cheapest way into an under drive?

7. In regards to putting in a turbo, it would have to be used, anything you know that I should?

8. I will have up to four persons in the vehicle, infrequently, but will also be using it to haul both normal family stuff, and things like deer to the butchers, firewood, rocks, stuff found on the side of the road, animal feed, and so on. Anyone have any interior idea's, or input?

9. I will want a stereo, tell me what you've done regarding speakers, I'd like to avoid cutting the door panels.

10. What other mods' have been done that are worthwhile for my type of use?

Sincerely, Giles.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm no CUCV expert but spend a few hours in the CUCV forum and many of the topics you asked about have been breeched before. I do know that the battery terminals are located on the batteries and the batteries are top posts. Check posts made by Devilman96 in regard to speaker placement for most auditory discomfort. Not sure about the battery thing since it has a split system and the majority of the vehicle runs on 12V. I'd be inclined to just run the inverter off the front battery.

mangus580

corelokt said:
1. Where are the battery terminals located on a cucv? Are they post or screw, top or front, positive on the left or right?
They are TOP post. I dont recall exact orientation on them

corelokt said:
2. What glow plugs to put in to make it a manual button glow plug system like in the stickies?, my tractor runs like this, and it's fine for me.
Are you sure your system is defective yet? If you are going to keep the resistor bank (which I suggest) you will still use the Wellman 070

corelokt said:
3. I'd like to have one alternator charge both batteries for starting, and run the other to a deep cycle battery and a power inverter for 110v power. Can I do this and keep the starter 24v?, or is it better to find a high torque 12v starter?
If you want to do this, you would want to use a 12v system. How often do you intend to use the inverter without the truck running, and for how long? How big of an inverter. You might just look into getting a 24v inverter too, and using both batteries capacity

corelokt said:
4. I'm thinking I'll mount both an engine and transmission cooler under the hood, with flexible lines and louvers to feed them air, thoughts?
I forget, is this a 1009 or 1008? What are your goals for the truck? Honestly, I would suggest a tranny cooler, in front of the radiator. It already has an oil cooler. If you feel you need more capacity, I would add this in front of the radiator as well.

corelokt said:
5. Anyone ever mounted a hydraulic pump on a 6.2? I'd like to avoid splicing into my power steering for my hydraulic winch.
You are almost out of mounting room on the engine. splicing the power steering isn't a big deal if you use the right fittings/hoses. Most winch kits come with all the proper goodies.

corelokt said:
6. If I were to run tall tires with the stock axle gears, towing would certainly suffer. What's the cheapest way into an under drive?
Again, not remembering which truck... If you have the 4.56 gears, slightly taller tires isn't going to effect your towing that much, now if its 3.08 gears... you are hopeless for towing anyway.

corelokt said:
7. In regards to putting in a turbo, it would have to be used, anything you know that I should?
Mostly make sure it spins free, and has very little end play. Other than that... not really sure.

corelokt said:
8. I will have up to four persons in the vehicle, infrequently, but will also be using it to haul both normal family stuff, and things like deer to the butchers, firewood, rocks, stuff found on the side of the road, animal feed, and so on. Anyone have any interior idea's, or input?
Spray on bedliner... Herculiner, Rhino, etc

corelokt said:
9. I will want a stereo, tell me what you've done regarding speakers, I'd like to avoid cutting the door panels.
I use 8" MTX truck boxes in my 1009. They will fit behind the seat of the 1008 too, as they came out of my old civvy truck (84 GMC 3/4)

corelokt said:
10. What other mods' have been done that are worthwhile for my type of use?
What type of use?

mangus580

Re: RE: Re: More Questions

corelokt said:
It's a M1009. 3.08 gears, I'd like to make the glow plugs as simple and bullet proof as I can, we see 40 below regular up here. Every day commuter use, and some towing.
If you plan to tow ANYTHING, I would stick with stock tire size. Otherwise, you will want to invest in a gear change.

As for the glow plugs. I have the stock setup in my 1009. I have never had it not start. Granted, I attempt to plug it in at anything under say 10° F. That said, there are times where I have not, and it started fine at -5°-0°.

Simple = stock system. Anyone can start and drive it.

Bullet Proof = Button

Honestly, I have not had any issues with my glow plug setup. I think a properly maintained one lasts. the biggest issue is leaving failed plugs in over time.

dependable

Don't splice into hydrolic pump. It is already running your steering and brakes. It is easy to put auxillary shiv off harmonic ballencer like many a snow plow truck. If you convert to 12 v you will also have a free drive pully. The gear reduction starters are available in both 12 and 24 v. I have had bad luck with the 24v soliniods.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks