• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More winch questions

res0wc18

Has anyone ever put a hydraulic pto in place of the stock duece winch pto with little effort?

Also if i had the hubs on all of the rear hubs and unlocked them to free spin, could i put a rear pto winch off the axle since it would be spinning and just not going any where? Then i would use the transmission etc as the gears. Does that make sense?

I forgot to tell you guys that i dont want to single out the tires. But rather put the biggest/ best tires while keeping the tandem axle duel setup so what would that be?

opie65

11.00R20 for the tires, and yes, you could run the rears that way. Wouldn't have the PTO power restriction, like the Trans PTO, would be more like the Transfer Case PTO of the Drill rig, (Drill Rig? I think so.)

How would you disengage at the Winch for moving the vehicle?

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might I suggest using the stock pto to drive a hydraulic pump for your power needs? This is done on many civilian applications. The pto's have two speeds, which should do all you need. With the idea you suggest, you need a way to disengage the pump from the drive shaft for road travel or you will over-speed the pump and cause destructive cavitation. Another problem I see is the rough road hop one gets out of the tandem sets. It would be brutally destructive to any kind of hydraulic pump and mounting on an axle.
Regards Marti

res0wc18

So are there hydraulic pumps that i could run right off in place of the winch shaft of the stock pto? What would i do measure the shaft and splines etc or? Anyone ever done it? Another ideas is to put an engine driven hydraulic clutch pump and run hydraulics that way?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks