• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Motor mounts cut thru cross member

cucvrus

I have a few pictures of the left motor mount cut thru the cross member018.jpg021.jpg019.jpg of my M1009 mule. These are not the best pictures but that is at a difficult place to get a good picture. I began looking when I noticed a small amount of oil in the snow. I think the rear main seal has begun to leak. It has 97K on it. I am going to put it down and do major repairs on the entire vehicle as soon as the weather breaks and I have a free garage bay. I am going to pull the engine and transmission and have them gone over completely. The engine needs head gaskets for the last 4 years and the transmission takes a while to go in gear when cold. Time to do the major work and repaint the entire vehicle. I suspect I will put all new mounts and seals in everything when I have it out. I see a new radiator and IP also even though this one is not leaking and the IP is still working. They are both the original ones. They are living on borrowed time at this point.

cucvrus

Well the motor mounts have been replaced. I am now on the task of changing them on all 6 of the CUCV's that I have here. I will also be changing the transmission mounts on all of them. It is about $50 US per vehicle at Autozone for the replacement parts and an hour each of labor and good as new. I was going to pull the engine and change the cross-member. NOT.

scottladdy

Well the motor mounts have been replaced. I am now on the task of changing them on all 6 of the CUCV's that I have here. I will also be changing the transmission mounts on all of them. It is about $50 US per vehicle at Autozone for the replacement parts and an hour each of labor and good as new. I was going to pull the engine and change the cross-member. NOT.
If you haven't purchased all the replacement parts, consider buying from RockAuto.com. Much less expensive in my experience.

You may also want to consider polyurethane mounts. I tried them and they are much better than the original rubber style. However, you do need to retain your original metal engine mount shells as the poly ones are inserts and the newer mounts have thinner metal shells.

cucvrus

The original ones lasted 30 years. They were just rubber. These are only $10.99 each and I get a discount on top of that. They are warranted for life and I can buy them face to face from a human being. The internet is not always the bigger and better deal. When I have issues with parts I walk in face to face and the issue is resolved right then and there. On the internet forget it. You never know who you are dealing with and what country they are in. Besides I would have to wait by my doorstep for everything I need. Poly mounts are very pricey and I am not a cheap guy but I see no point in redesigning these old trucks at this point. If it last half as long as the OEM ones and it will. The rest of the truck will be blowing in the wind at that time. And featured in abandoned and neglected vehicle web site. Sunk half way up the body in mud along side a river. :) Good Luck Have a Nice Day

cucvrus

OK I just came back from Autozone. I got the motor mounts for the 1984 6.2 diesel. They are not correct. Am I to take it that I was supposed to get them for a 1984 350 gas motor. The first set of mounts I installed were a new set of GM mounts. But the Autozone ones are to thick and the holes that the bolts go thru have rivets in them. I did my research in the search area. That is what i am coming up with. Am I reading the post correctly. Get the motor mounts for a 350 gas motor of 1984 vintage and I will be good to go? I seen a picture of the mounts side by side that Warthog posted but did not find that in my search.

cucvrus

The answer is easy. The 350 gas motor mounts are the ones that you get for the 6.2 diesel CUCV. Never knew that but I do now. I am glad I took the old one with me when I went to get the new ones. The first set I had I bought from someone at Aberdeen Maryland 15 years ago. They were genuine GM. I installed them with out an issue. They are 1 step above the fuel pump installation in a matter of difficulty. I used new bolts and nuts that made it some what easier. I put nylocks on everything.

armytruck63

I found out (the hard way) that the 1984 M1009 Blazer I had used 1984 6.2L diesel mounts. It was explained to me that the DOD chose the design in 1983 and told Chevrolet not to change anything. So, even though my Blazer was a 1984, it used 1983 diesel engine mounts.

cucvrus

Back on another CUCV motor mount job for the gray plow truck. It just began starting hard and letting a puddle of diesel at the front fuel pump area. I will be getting a pair of energy suspension motor mounts and a new lift pump from Autozone. It never ends. The fuel feed line is setting on the cross member and making a mess. It will be a ring around the shower job for sure. Oh well. It is only as hard as you make it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks