• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mounting box to m1088a1

LongsPeakMoto

Hello everyone this is my first post here (hope I'm in the right form) today I picked up a 99 m1088a1 with a single axle trailer. I currently have a 23ft box truck I converted into a camper and now want to switch it to the m1088a1. I am planning on removing the spare tire and putting it in the trailer. Along with relocating the air filter. As for the transmission cooler do most people just remove these? Thank you!

Attachments

LongsPeakMoto

you will find more info on mechanical side of things in the FMTV forum on this board. Pretty sure their is a thread or two on removing the second trans cooler. Thing someone even layed it down between frame rails and kept it.
Thank you! I will definitely go check out the mechanic side of this. Sorry I'm new to this board so I wasn't sure where to post this.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello everyone this is my first post here (hope I'm in the right form) today I picked up a 99 m1088a1 with a single axle trailer. I currently have a 23ft box truck I converted into a camper and now want to switch it to the m1088a1. I am planning on removing the spare tire and putting it in the trailer. Along with relocating the air filter. As for the transmission cooler do most people just remove these? Thank you!
Welcome to the Outfit!

Like @coachgeo suggested, you might get more viability in the FMTV forum. Maybe you want to create a brand new thread there to chronicle your progress. As you go along - but before you get too far along, you need to consider the "Departure Angle" on your box. Looking at a build by member @chucky using a 20ft? connex box might give you some inspiration about how to move some of the parts to get the bed closer to the cab.

Since you are new here, don't hesitate to take advantage of the free TM (Technical Manual) downloads for your truck.

LongsPeakMoto

Welcome to the Outfit!

Like @coachgeo suggested, you might get more viability in the FMTV forum. Maybe you want to create a brand new thread there to chronicle your progress. As you go along - but before you get too far along, you need to consider the "Departure Angle" on your box. Looking at a build by member @chucky using a 20ft? connex box might give you some inspiration about how to move some of the parts to get the bed closer to the cab.

Since you are new here, don't hesitate to take advantage of the free TM (Technical Manual) downloads for your truck.
I was thinking about the departure angle and original I had it planned that I would have about a 40° departure angle I think I will be slightly less than that after I am done. The problem is I already have a box that I have converted into a camper and I really like the layout I did. I also am not sure how many roads I will run into where my departure angle will come into play as the box will be 4ft off the ground.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I was thinking about the departure angle and original I had it planned that I would have about a 40° departure angle I think I will be slightly less than that after I am done. The problem is I already have a box that I have converted into a camper and I really like the layout I did. I also am not sure how many roads I will run into where my departure angle will come into play as the box will be 4ft off the ground.
You thought about it and since the bed is already built it shouldn't be a big deal.
I'm thinking that a little common sense is all that needs to be applied.

Good Deal in my opinion...
Snap up and post some pictures when you can

coachgeo

You thought about it and since the bed is already built it shouldn't be a big deal.

amount of overhang brings arse end toward ground realllllllll fast......... granted not as fast than a twuck whose arse end is 2ft high yet w/ overhang........ but still way faster than you are likely envisioning, If you had similar overhang on your box truck..... then ignore me.... your vision has been there done that....

LongsPeakMoto

I will throw some photos on here soon! We have a welder extending the frame on the 28th then we are moving the box over.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may want to peruse my build thread:

I have a 2000 M1088A1 and simply relocated it between the frame rails using longer hoses (had to have them custom made, but was easy and not costly). I replaced the fans with some low profile units and put a shroud on it as well to make sure the air was pushed through instead of around. Mine was a very simple combination of angle iron and two posts, with U bolts to mount it to a chassis crossmember. Very simple and effective.

I am a little bit ahead of you but with a home built 23' box on a stock chassis. I love it.

Before you get too vested in the process, you may want to look into what it will take to get that registered in CO, if you can. You may need to engage creative solutions.

Chris

LongsPeakMoto

You may want to peruse my build thread:

I have a 2000 M1088A1 and simply relocated it between the frame rails using longer hoses (had to have them custom made, but was easy and not costly). I replaced the fans with some low profile units and put a shroud on it as well to make sure the air was pushed through instead of around. Mine was a very simple combination of angle iron and two posts, with U bolts to mount it to a chassis crossmember. Very simple and effective.

I am a little bit ahead of you but with a home built 23' box on a stock chassis. I love it.

Before you get too vested in the process, you may want to look into what it will take to get that registered in CO, if you can. You may need to engage creative solutions.

Chris
Hey Chris thank you so much this is exactly what I was looking for!!! Fingers crossed I can get this done before the end of next month. Lot of late nights coming up!!

Third From Texas

As Geo said, I'd keep that secondary cooler. Relocate it into the frame. Your trans will live longer.

I actually got one NOS at auction a few years back. It's going on the M1079 when I eventually pull the shelter to paint the frame and a few other tasks.

But if you d delete it, save all the bits. I'm certain someone here would LOVE to have one.

Last edited:

LongsPeakMoto

As Geo said, I'd keep that secondary cooler. Relocate it into the frame. Your trans will live longer.

I actually got one NOS at auction a few years back. It's going on the M1079 when I eventually pull the shelter to paint the frame and a few other tasks.

But if you d delete it, save all the bits. I'm certain someone here would LOVE to have one.
After walking around the truck a little I think I will just be relocating it in the frame. I'm hoping I can still use the stock fans as my wallet keeps getting thinner haha. Today was my day to start wrenching on it and pulling stuff off but I got stuck on the highway for a few hours as my tools were in my other truck and I blew the turbo boot right off so wasn't a great start to the day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks