• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moving 003A From M116A1 to M105A2

steelandcanvas

I have decided to remove the 003A from the M116A1 and place it on the M105A2. Three reasons: (1) The 105 tows better, and looks better behind the Deuce. (2) I can use the 116 for an ATV or utility trailer behind my civi truck. (3) The 105 has the cargo cover to protect the genset from the elements. I plan on keeping the 105/003A on a pad outside the shop, and wired up for standby power. Any suggestions? What do you all think?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have my MEP-003A on an M116A2 trailer, and it pulls very well, either behind my Deuce or behind my Ford pickup, although I agree that the M105A2 is a very sweet trailer to pull. Putting the GenSet on an M105A2 trailer places the weight so high as to rule out pulling by conventional pickups, making the M116A2 setup suprior IMO. However, everyone's situation is different. I say go for it if it helps your situation.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have my MEP-003A on an M116A2 trailer, and it pulls very well, either behind my Deuce or behind my Ford pickup, although I agree that the M105A2 is a very sweet trailer to pull. Putting the GenSet on an M105A2 trailer places the weight so high as to rule out pulling by conventional pickups, making the M116A2 setup suprior IMO. However, everyone's situation is different. I say go for it if it helps your situation.
Not that skullduggery is a problem in that area, but seems that this would reduce the odds of theft.

runk

Just a note on towing, but the 2 MEP003's on the M103 (flatbed, but same chassis as the M105) towed just fine from Camp Shelby to Houston behind my Expedition, except for the idiot woman who almost sideswiped the trailer.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a note on towing, but the 2 MEP003's on the M103 (flatbed, but same chassis as the M105) towed just fine from Camp Shelby to Houston behind my Expedition, except for the idiot woman who almost sideswiped the trailer.
Not to get off topic, but that is one nice TR3 in the photo. Is it an A or B?

Braking with the extra weight was my main concern regarding using the M105A2.

DieselBob

Sounds good to me. I am going to put my MEP-018A in my M105. Seems that either the Army or NG thought it is a good idea because someone had one in there before. You can see in the pic where it was mounted and the holes line up perfect to the holes in the generator skids. They even left the bolts, nuts and washers.

Attachments

runk

My dad's 1959 TR3B. The restoration is getting older (we did it about 15 years ago), but it won some awards at the Triumph Register national meetings. Glad you like it.

The Expedition has the towing package, and the brakes were fine in the flatlands of the gulf coast, but rigging a way to control the military trailer brakes is on my list.

steelandcanvas

Mission accomplished! We did the swap today under a beautiful Colorado Summer sky. Gamagoat1 came about 40 miles from his house with his M816, his Son, and another Club Member, Schmoutz. PhilM also another Club Member, took care of our video production needs. All went well, total crane time was about 20 minutes, only because I was so anal about getting the 003A just in the right position in the M105. Stole Wifey's bathroom scale to make sure we had the correct tongue weight, about 220 pounds, should trailer just right. We then set back in my shop and enjoyed a cool breeze and the mandantory frosty cold beverage. PhilM will post the video up after editing. Some comments by the work party not suited for a family website.:shock:

steelandcanvas

Gary I don't think I would ever tow the 105 with my civi Dodge Dually again. That's the way I got it home and Johnny Law pulled me over because it looked so lame. The genset will be at home on it's pad beside the shop for satendby power duties, and towed to events when the Club asks me to.

Last edited:

powerhouseduece

Sounds good to me. I am going to put my MEP-018A in my M105. Seems that either the Army or NG thought it is a good idea because someone had one in there before. You can see in the pic where it was mounted and the holes line up perfect to the holes in the generator skids. They even left the bolts, nuts and washers.

You need help let me know. Im not to far and have a forklift to make it a short ordeal

steelandcanvas

What was in there Bob, an 018A or 003A? If it was an 003A, would you give me measurements of the hole layout? I'd like to see how close we came to what the Army or NG guys did.

Isaac-1

I don't know if you can count a Dodge Dually or a Ford Excursion as a typical civilian pickup truck, I drive a 2000 F-250 crew cab with a 7.3 on a daily basis, and one day last week at work while someone else was using my truck to haul a 24 ft. gooseneck trailer I had to use the spare pickup which is a 1/2 ton standard cab '98 model GMC, it felt like a sports car in comparison to the F250, it was low to the ground, easy to get in and out or parking spaces, etc.

Ike