• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mpg of m135

Trainguy438

Looking at a 54 m135. Any real world mpg of one with a 302? Is this truck worth having with the tranny issues? Really like the truck but learly of buying it and having it broke down all the time cause of the transmission. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Love the truck.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got around 5 mpg running 55 mph all the time. If you have a good transmission to start with, it will not be unreliable. Oh and welcome to Steelsoldiers.

Trainguy438

Thank you! But at 5 mpg mabe saving up for a m35 or similar truck might be worth it in the long run? (milage wise any way) 5mpg is kinda hard to take at almost $4 a gallon. To bad I really liked the truck.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They make a great parade or ranch truck. Long highway trips are expensive. Most here prefer the M35A2 by far.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Then buy it by all means. Just tooling around, they don't suck the gas. It's the wide open throttle that gets you the low mpg.
With the automatic, the trucks have incredible pull and climbing ability.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M135

40 gallons gets me about 250 miles so around 6mpg........and I'm City bound so I try to find open stretches to run between 30 and 45mph, which she likes.
Mine does not like red lights.
I'm just 4 seasons and a pile o' miles on the trani that was in mine when I bought it. It improves each time I drive it so I know,,,,, one day.fat lady sings
I just followed the manual and serviced it before I drove it...too much.

If you bought the 54' she would be 60 years old next year and trani parts are ....can we say it....impossible to find. However there will be a handful of guys that will chuckle when they read this because their barns are full of parts......they're just not letting it go yet, but they might ....if they know someone is restoring an M135.
Everything on the truck is 60 years old and what we decided to do was replace or at least remove, clean, inspect and preserve every part that stops and steers the truck.

If you're mechanically comfortable going in knowing it's a 60 year old truck that might need a tear down or the trani might fail at some point then you'll have a great time with it until that happens. I carry a credit card and have wreckers on speed dial in case she breaks in a bad spot.

The trucks are a lot of fun to wheel around in once the mechanical is 100% but servicing and maintaining is what keeps the tie-rod ends on...... and every 60 year old truck still on the road deserves a lot of attention..... not to mention a truck who's history could only be imagined. Metal fatigue means frame cracks or exploding parking brake drums might stop a good trani.

My latest purchase was 1 1/2 gallons low on trani fluid and it was thought the trani was bad because they did not properly check the level. It's good you're getting to know the truck,,,,,,,, before you buy....

It's addictive so be careful.....Beautiful aren't they?

Attachments

Last edited:

cmpman

For planning purposes, the Cdn army listed them as 4 MPG, and that was the larger Canadian gallon. Your mileage may vary, although not likely by much.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got 3 mpg average on my 670 mile trip in the M220 I could run at 60 on the true flat. Some of the bigger rolling hills I was down to 40. In the black hills I was below 30mph and struggling on the big ones. When got off the freeway, and ran at 50 I got 5mpg or better. And that is with the big ol box catching the wind.
And welcome!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fold the windshield down, remove the rear paulin, and run no more than 50 mph. Should get 8-10 then.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes they have. There are posts back somewhere that show a manual conversion. Try the search function. I see there are a few engine trans swaps that have been done as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks