• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MT654 Lock up in 1st

Jason O

Has anyone tried to force a lock-up in 1st gear by powering the soleniod? I'm looking to maximize engine braking.

I have a steep hill to travel down any time I take the truck out. The ideal speed is right around where the converter unlocks in 2nd as engine speed drops, resulting in loss of engine braking. Then I speed up
a few MPH and it locks up again.

I was considering trying a momentary switch to power the solenoid and keep the converter locked. My driveway is even steeper, and 1st gear, converter locked would be ideal.

The biggest potential problems I see would be the 2-1 downshift would be so harsh, something would break if the converter was locked, and remembering to let off the solenoid when comming to a stop so the engine wouldnt stall.

Any thoughts?

Nomadic

I don't know the RPMs at the point it unlocks, but it sounds like a safety risk if it isn't done right. Say you needed to brake for a deer and the converter lock was overridden. Wouldn't the truck stall? Maybe wire a sensor from the brake to your auto-locking mech so the converter unlocks if you brake.

Jeeperjoe

Yeah and that was / is the big fear on these when the engine stalls due to hard braking you loose steering functionality and if I'm not mistaken there have been a few deaths due to that hence one of the reasons they installed ABS... awfully big truck to flop on its side / top

dmetalmiki

When I read things like this, I (yet again) can not understand the 'wick' of designers who prepare a military tactical vehicle to not perform at least as well as 'other countries' military combat situation vehicles that Reverse in low range, Have ctis that actually works and is reliable. Do not have an assortment of 'gimmicky' electronics that constantly go wrong, Stop AND steer when you (have to!) brake in an emergency, Nor a plethora of other ridiculous 'problems'. They mostly ARE. mostly rough, tough, basic,reliable, and simply just preform as required. When required. (gripe over).

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The transmission will not like it. You will run into issues powering up that solenoid. I moved my lockup to 3rd gear since i pull alot. You are better off using your roller on the brake valve to slow you down or add a manual brake caliper and rotor to the front output or rear output flanges

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks