• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NY MTV Insurance in NY - M1083A1

INFChief

In a call to USAA a couple of months ago I inquired about insurance for my truck. The USAA Rep said they don’t insure military vehicles and gave me no options.

Received the SF97 yesterday so I started back down the insurance trail. Called USAA (just for giggles) expecting the same response. To my surprise the Rep went through collecting all the info on the vehicle.

Then, I thought the dreaded moment arrived; she said ‘USAA doesn’t issue policies on these vehicles but our parent USAA insurance unit does”.

She transferred me and a different USAA industry department took all my details and we conferenced PROGRESSIVE in to the call. USAA has a insurance line partnership with Progressive and within a few minutes the policy was done and in force.

A couple of things you should know:

1) Progressives, and perhaps other underwriters) will do a Experian type credit check and pull your State driving record.
2) Progressive allows payment plans (as do most insurance underwriters) but if you pay in full it’s a bit cheaper.
3) NOT CLEAR YET - but the insurance ID cards have five (5) 1’s (ones) at the end of “VIN”. I’ve inquired and haven’t heard back but a ‘guess’ is that they are “fillers” because the VIN isn’t long enough for their system. Does anyone know or have experience with this?

So, I’m off to DMV to finger-wrestle with them over the stack of paperwork required.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know that "Commerce" ins and "Plymouth Rock" will insure our trucks but Geico won't.

Mark

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In a call to USAA a couple of months ago I inquired about insurance for my truck. The USAA Rep said they don’t insure military vehicles and gave me no options.

Received the SF97 yesterday so I started back down the insurance trail. Called USAA (just for giggles) expecting the same response. To my surprise the Rep went through collecting all the info on the vehicle.

Then, I thought the dreaded moment arrived; she said ‘USAA doesn’t issue policies on these vehicles but our parent USAA insurance unit does”.

She transferred me and a different USAA industry department took all my details and we conferenced PROGRESSIVE in to the call. USAA has a insurance line partnership with Progressive and within a few minutes the policy was done and in force.

1) Progressives, and perhaps other underwriters) will do a Experian type credit check and pull your State driving record.
2) Progressive allows payment plans (as do most insurance underwriters) but if you pay in full it’s a bit cheaper.
3) NOT CLEAR YET - but the insurance ID cards have five (5) 1’s (ones) at the end of “VIN”. I’ve inquired and haven’t heard back but a ‘guess’ is that they are “fillers” because the VIN isn’t long enough for their system. Does anyone know or have experience with this?

So, I’m off to DMV to finger-wrestle with them over the stack of paperwork required.
Progressive did the same thing when I had my M35 insured with them. Now I am on State Farm and I do not recall if they are using the "1's" or not.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Just be careful... The state DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) has hammered a few owners with a MISMATCHED Serial Numbers. The DMV could have one number. The Insurance Company could have another number - and they don't match - then you get the nasty letter from the state. They are NOT nice people when that problem crops up. Then you have to worry about a collision and the serial number not matching what is on the insurance paperwork.

Some states might pad on the front of the serial, others on the back, and some use "0" and apparently yours (NY) uses "1".

INFChief

Just be careful... The state DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) has hammered a few owners with a MISMATCHED Serial Numbers. The DMV could have one number. The Insurance Company could have another number - and they don't match - then you get the nasty letter from the state. They are NOT nice people when that problem crops up. Then you have to worry about a collision and the serial number not matching what is on the insurance paperwork.

Some states might pad on the front of the serial, others on the back, and some use "0" and apparently yours (NY) uses "1".

Funny you should say that. The metal ID plate on the vehicle has a “B-Txxxxxx” as does one other document. The titling paperwork does not accept - (dashes) so it was titled / registered w/out that dash.

INFChief

Got it registered but not without issues.

First; DMV required that both my wife and my name be on the insurance ID cards. Called Progressive - they wanted to send them to me in the mail. I explained that I was at DMV and they’ve got most of my vehicle info already in the system. Was on hold for 20 minutes waiting for them to update the cards.
Got the new cards - wife’s name is now there but my name is gone. Called Progressive back. Waited on hold for 37 minutes before they corrected the cards. Problem solved.
Second: The DMV clerk said she needed a picture of the data plate showing the ‘VIN’ or she needed a pencil rubbing. I happened to have a photo in my phone but no way to print it. Went back home printed off the photo then went out and also got a pencil rub / tracing of the VIN. Wasn’t going to take any chances. Final got a set of plates!!!
Lastly, made an appointment for tomorrow morning at 1000 for inspection. “Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men; The Shadow knows”!

Adrok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got it registered but not without issues.

First; DMV required that both my wife and my name be on the insurance ID cards. Called Progressive - they wanted to send them to me in the mail. I explained that I was at DMV and they’ve got most of my vehicle info already in the system. Was on hold for 20 minutes waiting for them to update the cards.
Got the new cards - wife’s name is now there but my name is gone. Called Progressive back. Waited on hold for 37 minutes before they corrected the cards. Problem solved.
Second: The DMV clerk said she needed a picture of the data plate showing the ‘VIN’ or she needed a pencil rubbing. I happened to have a photo in my phone but no way to print it. Went back home printed off the photo then went out and also got a pencil rub / tracing of the VIN. Wasn’t going to take any chances. Final got a set of plates!!!
Lastly, made an appointment for tomorrow morning at 1000 for inspection. “Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men; The Shadow knows”!

BUMPING this thread. Curious for an update. I'm in western NY, did have some issues with the registration, but certainly not what you went though. I happened to bring a VIN scratch, bill of sale, transferable registration ( from another state ). The insurance information was the easy part.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks