• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MTVR Axle model number

Camoguy

I’m planning to do something really cool with one of these axles. Do any of you guys have a tag that still on one of your 7 ton axles that shows the model number? I have looked at three trucks and have not found one. I called osh Corp. The schematic that he could see shows one on the yoke attachment bolts. However he could not find the model number in his system.

Last edited:

MAdams

I checked the user manual and it just says Oshkosh 7 ton truck axle. It lists their fluid capacity, weight rating, and gear ratio but no model number

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Pretty sure the chunks are Meritor. The Tak4 is similar to Meritor Protech ISAS 4000 series.

Dana Supplies axles for the JLTV program, Dana Eaton supplied axles for the Mk48/HEMTT program, but they didn't have any IFS chunks in their lineup pre 2005

Camoguy

Pretty sure the chunks are Meritor. The Tak4 is similar to Meritor Protech ISAS 4000 series.

Dana Supplies axles for the JLTV program, Dana Eaton supplied axles for the Mk48/HEMTT program, but they didn't have any IFS chunks in their lineup pre 2005
That’s what I thought. I called Meritor. He could not help me without the axle model number. Oshkosh is only going to help you find replacement parts. What I’m looking at is the backing plate on the spider brake assembly. It appears to be a common bolt pattern. I’m wanting to swap it out with a hydraulic actuated wedge assembly. You could then build a buggy or use them on an old C70 or whatever toy you can thing of building that has juice brakes. You can see what I am calling the backing plate below. Brake pads have been removed. I’m thinking the only way to know is to order what seems the closest fit trail and error.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The air brake stuff is always a commercial or industrial equipment variant. That is a planetary end which hydraulic setups so that shouldn't be an issue with just a packing swaps. The planetary ends are different from the axle chunks.

This has been done with Athey forklifts for years to hook them to other axles for their planetaries.

Camoguy

The air brake stuff is always a commercial or industrial equipment variant. That is a planetary end which hydraulic setups so that shouldn't be an issue with just a packing swaps. The planetary ends are different from the axle chunks.

This has been done with Athey forklifts for years to hook them to other axles for their planetaries.
That gets my confidence up! Just need to choose the right package...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks