• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MTVR Dimensions

MTVR

It is surprisingly roomy. When we moved to Texas, we had three LARGE animal kennels, a queen bed for my wife and I, a single bed for our daughter, a toilet, a hot plate, laptops, a heater, a large cat tree, a Christmas tree, food/water/clothing for all three of us, pet food bins for all the pets, and we never felt cramped for space...

HopperChopper77

Hello Yall!

Alright, I have been drawing it up in CAD to get a better idea. From the measurements provided and the measurements I have found online. All of these drawings are to scale with a real MTVR and a real 20 ft container.

First a few notes

The first image is with the container at normal height witch will not work to be 13'6 and the first image is before the chop on the end. The chop is set to 36 degrees from the tire because the departure angle of an MTVR is 36 degrees. at this angle, the front of the MTVR can be 15 feet in the air before the container touches the ground. With no cut, the MTVR front end would be 12.5 feet in the air before hitting the ground. but coming off an obstacle is where it really counts and because it's extended further than the bed it will really want to dig into coming if I'm coming off something steep such as a sand dune. Granted I don't really want to do THAT much off-roading with my home haha.

In the next two, you can see examples of what I just described

mtvrs.PNG8.png9.png

HopperChopper77

Again it's all still to scale.

Next, we have the top of the container. In these pictures, you can see I have chopped the top of the container to 13'1 Leaving 5 inches of roof room. Solar, Vents, ECT.

This means I had to take 11 inches out of the container. Leaving the inside 6ft 7.5 inches before insulation. It's getting tighter than I would like.

Also, I moved the box 7 inches towards the cab.

What do yall think? The box is getting a bit tighter than I would like with the headroom. I'm thinking I could take the bottom off the container and get a good bit of room, But the issue then is the structural integrity of the container. How tall is yours? I'm 6 ft tall so it's still enough but with insulation, it's gonna be getting tight.

1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png6.png7.png

MTVR

We went through all these issues with ours- chopping the top to keep us under 13'6", shortening the container (we didn't want that much box swinging behind us when turning tightly), chopping the bottom to eliminate the empty space below the container's floor, cutting and bracing door and window openings, fabricating a rear door that could withstand substabtial weight when folded down as a drawbridge, and so on.

In the end, there would have been so little of the original container left untouched, that we decided to build a composite wood/epoxy box.

And we would have had to build a wood box inside the container anyway, as we built the interior.

We also were never able to adequately solve the condensation issue with a steel box- anywhere that humid air (your breath, shower steam, cooking steam, etc.) touches the inside of that steel box, water is going to condense on it and you'll have mold inside your walls.

With our wood/epoxy box, the walls are completely filled with 3.5" rigid polyiso foam insulation (R-24 value), foamed in place with urethane insulation foam- there is no airspace in our walls, at all, even around plumbing and wiring, so there's no way for humid air to get in, and even if it did, there's no steel outer skin for it to condense on.

As far as our headroom- we've got plenty. You can do the math, but our box is 5" thick on all walls, so if you take your box height (which is about the same as ours) and subtract 5" for the floor and 5" for the ceiling, you should come up with about 6'8" of headroom...

Last edited:

MTVR

We have a custom-made 600-pound gun safe made for ours. We're going to keep it, our battery bank, and our fresh and grey water tankage as far forward as we can. If you try to use a 20-foot box, you're gonna end up with a lot of your weight pretty far back, which will make the vehicle less stable on the highway. We tried to make an 18-foot box work, but in the end, the 16-foot box gave us the same square footage, because the 16-foot box didn't need an angled cut in the back.

And losing the angled cut allowed our drawbridge to be at basically the same height as our floor when it's folded down, which feels like an extension of our floor space when it's deployed...

MTVR

By the way, you should ask to have this thread moved into the military vehicle camper section...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks