• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multi fuel 5-ton

deeztek

Looking to possibly buy a 5-ton from GP. Ideally, I'm thinking I should get one that has a multifuel engine for maximum flexibility in case something really bad happens and I don't want to have to only use Diesel. I've read some of the threads here concerning multifuel engines but I couldn't get a definite answer. The problem with GP as far as I can tell, they are no listing whether or not the engine is multifuel or not. Or maybe they do and I just haven't seen a listing yet.

so I guess my question is two-part. Am I correct to assume that multifuel engines will run just about anything like vegetable oil (used or not), kerosene, trans fluid, gasoline mixed with diesel, etc etc.

If that's the case, which trucks should I be looking for?

Thanks

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The only multifuel engine (Which was designed to run diesel primarly, but can run Diesel, kerosene, and gasoline [with lube], not just anything you pour in the tank) equipped trucks were the M39 and M44 series trucks. Which are the deuce and a half and 5 tons. (A little confusing, but the 5 tons lost the MF engine after the M809 and up series) Every once in a blue moon a M35A2 pops up at auction. But it's rare. Easier to buy one private party now that they've been pretty much flushed from the system.

A few variants that would have the MF in a 5 ton would be a M54A2, M55A2, M543A2, M51A2, M52A2. And there's a few other wreckers, but I'm working off memory on these.

Have you driven a MF powered 5 ton? It's great to have the MF for the "cheap" fuel they can run on. But boy, you're going to hate life if you're going to see any hills or tow a load. (I have a M543A2 that has absolutely sat for the past 5 or so years)

The Alternative fuels section is a wonderful resource for the questions on specific fuel blends/use/exc.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You can run up to 50% used oil in a Cummins 250.

A multifuel isn't as powerful as other motors, but it isn't a dog either if you get it adjusted right.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Squirt is an M54-A2 and runs just fine. She will run t the govenor with 20k in the bed or 24k in tow. Like Gimp said, gotta be adjusted right.

dmetalmiki

Posts 3 and 5 have it right. I am more than satisfied with my M54A2. Carries a heavy Russian radio body and kit. Goes quite fast enough. And stops (to be safe).

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I had an M54 tractor and it would not pull a greasy string out of a fat cat's a$$.

I'd get a M900 series and look at alternative fuels but you risk FUBARing the engine.

There are all kinds of plans out there for running straight veggie oil in diesels but again you risk destroying an expensive engine to save a few bucks worth of fuel.