• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multi-Fuel Engine won't start - Compression??

kooldadd

Multifuel.a2.. I tried searching, but got nowhere. Could low compression be my problem when it will only start by gas ragging and not on it's own. After starting, runs perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It could be a factor. But if it runs fine with power, I suspect you have different problems.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you get a good stream of fuel out of the bleeder that is between the secondary and final fuel filters. By gage it should be 4 to 7 lbs.

Patracy you had your coffee yet. OP's location is in need of help.

Last edited:

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How is your cranking speed? If it is not turning at a good speed on the starter it can be sluggish to start. Diesels need good cranking speed to develop the compression to start.

kooldadd

Turns over plenty fast, I think. Good fuel flow. Checked at injector port. Shooting up 12" continuously. Once started, runs great. I've only gone to 1900rpm, but it holds that smoothly. I'd like to load test it, but my air assist on the brakes isn't working.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cheaper than a new/rebuilt head and might be worth the try. I have had people try and turn up the fuel and by hand hold the control assembly fully open and no luck. Holding the fuel peddle down also helps keep the fuel control collar higher. Most collars run around 7 oclock on the control assembly WOT. I have run the twin nut main fuel adjustment stud all the way out or inner nut all the way in and the control assembly arm will hit the forward retainer screw which is about 9 o clock just for a test. This is WAY too much fuel to be running under load and temps. go crazy but the control collar or sleeve rides higher and less fuel out the spill port. I have sold 14 rebuilt Heads from Ambac here on SS when the problems have come to it.

Last edited:

kooldadd

If, just by chance, I removed the fuel delivery valve plug from the hh when trying to see why I wasn't getting any fuel... would that be bad? Fuel did flow from that open hole, probably pushing out the valve and spring. In my defense, I did not research anything on this before I jumped in feet first... and, yes, I know... ignorance is no excuse.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No harm, no foul. That's a valid way to check it. Often times people will pull the plug and have someone bump the engine. Using a small wooden dowel or something to confirm the plunger moves up and down on it's own.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Oooh that plug. Sorry I thought you meant the plug in the center of the head. Yes, that delivery valve is a mated surface seal.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I've replaced the screw for the delivery valve, but not the valve its self. Its at least worth a try IF you can find someone with a spare.

kooldadd

That was my next question. Has anyone had to change out the valve and spring, and is it even possible given the note on the testing instruction manual. Someone else has to have lost one of these, or am I the only one with cranio-rectal infarction?