• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

multi fuel tranny fluid

drjconley

i have a 1953 wrecker with a multi fuel. do i have to fill the tranny with fluid, or does the tranny get its fluid from the large hydraulic tank that the boom uses. i did a search and i couldnt find this in a prior forum. also is there a simple way to search for a tm that would be applicable. when i look at the tm section it is kind of intimidating.
thanks for the help,
jim

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
no not at all. that is hydrolic fluid that is just for the crane pump. dont do anything to the running gear of that truck. that tank i beleave holds around 75 gals

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We use a good grade of 80/90 extreme pressure gear oil obtained at a local farm supply store for all of the gear boxes in our trucks. There is nothing unique about these gear boxes that cause them to need any special grades of oils. Each box has its own drain and level (fill) plug. Unique to the wrecker (referring to the M543A2 here), other than the usual transmission, transfer case, and axles, check the boxes at each end of the drive shaft from the transfer case to the bevel gear box under the center of the turntable. There is a CV joint in each that needs lubrication. Also check the bevel gear box under the center of the turntable. There are also gear boxes at the end of the hoist winch and the table rotate gear box on the turntable under the back of the hoist unit. Each drag winch also has a gear box that needs this oil, including the box on the end of each winch spool where the worm gear is and the opposite end. We use the 80/90 EP in all of these boxes.
Regards Marti

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since your truck is a 1953 I'd assume that it is an M62 repowered by the Gov't and usually referred to as an M62A2. Easy breakdown of the TMs for you.
TM= Technical manual
9= Wheeled vehicle (I think)
2320= truck tractor class
211= Family of vehicles (in your case the 211 is for the M39 series)
10= Operators manual, 20= Unit Maintenance, 34= Depot Maintenance
Any ending in a P is a parts manual. Several of the -20 and -34 manuals are broken into volumes as well. You need the following manuals for your truck
TM 9-2320-211-10 Operators
TM 9-2320-211-20 Unit maintenance Maybe in volumes which would add -1 or -2 to the end
TM 9-2320-211-34 Depot Maintenance
TM 9-2320-211-20P Unit Parts
TM 9-2320-211-34P Depot Parts
There may be further breakdown, I'm not sure. This is off the top of my head and I don't do 5 tons.