• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1953 Diamond T M52 tractor "parts truck"

JDToumanian

Hi group,
I thought I'd share some pictures of my 1953 Diamond T M52 that I recently purchased. It is somewhat unique, in that it was remanufactured by Memphis Equipment (probably a long time ago) and has their aftermarket hood, fuel tank, and other details. It's most unusual feature, however, is that it is powered by a 2-stroke 6-71N Detroit Diesel engine. I'm a 2-stroke diesel nut. 8)

To fit a 6-71 in a 5-ton is a stretch. The engine is long, extending into the firewall and requiring a doghouse cover in the cab. It's also tall, and barely fits over the axle and under the hood. I've also been told that a custom flywheel had to be made to bolt up the military clutch and transmission. There's a lot of other fabrication that was done, like motor mounts, to make the conversion.

The truck itself is a wreck, as you can see from the pics (Though I did drive it 45 miles home). I bought it for the engine and it's associated conversion components, and my goal is to put the engine into a different 5-ton, either cargo or wrecker, and part out the rest. The engine is in excellent condition. I had been watching the same M543A2 wrecker that rumplecat won on GL, but I could not afford it at the moment when shipping to CA was factored in, but I'm leaning toward a wrecker over a cargo, since I already have my M35. A "fixer-upper" wrecker, missing an engine is okay, would be just the ticket for this project. An M543 would be the same as my M52, from the cab forward, right? As opposed to an M816 which is different? I want to do a basic swap, rather than re-engineer the conversion for a different series of trucks.

If the truck were in better condition, I would consider restoring it as an M52, but it is really bad. The fenders, cab and hard top have significant rust-through with bad Bondo repairs. The right front has had a collision, so the fender and bumper are damaged. This home-made bumper is very sloppily welded directly to the frame, which is pretty chewed up. The wiring has been poorly converted to 12-volt, and nothing electrical seems to work except the starter. The brakes have been partially converted to air... The pedal is an air-type, and there is no air pack now. The air lines lead to three master cylinders, one for each axle. Wierd, but it does provide some redundancy for safety. The dogbones are so worn that a bolt had to be welded on to four of them so they don't fall off!

My girlfriend thinks I'm nuts (the look on her face was priceless), even my brother says I've "officially lost it", but I knew I could turn to my fellow Steel Soldiers members for technical as well as moral support!

Regards,
Jon

Attachments

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks better in the pictures than in real life! Can't believe you were able to drive it home.
You got your 2-stroke, congrats, and good luck with the project!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow !!!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jon, Are you sure you wouldn't like to fix that one up? Mabye someone could get you a cab/fenders from howards before they are all gone. It's so different it looks like it would be a fun project. IMHO. How fast would it go? I know 6-71's will turn a lot of RPM's that thing should fly!

JDToumanian

Hi Ken & Group,
I think it's like what Bjorn said - It looks better in the pics than in person. Even if I could have a rust free cab and fenders, the frame of this truck is a mess both front and back... It's full of welds and cuts, repairs and attempts at straightening. My preservation instincts are strong, but I've seen better trucks in scrap yards. If I wanted to keep it as an M52 tractor, I would still want to combine parts with another one and junk the bulk of this one.

I think a big part of what makes this truck look unique is the hood. Fortunately it's in pretty good shape, so I could use it in the new project.

This engine has a no-load speed of 2300 rpm and a loaded setting of 2100 rpm. They can be turned up to 2400 rpm for marine applications, and a buddy of mine that used to drive school busses said a few of those were turned up, but it shortens the life expectancy more than I am comfortable with. I'll either tolerate slow speed or figure out another way. The chase vehicle that followed me home said I was hitting 50, and I was not at full speed. Also, the tires are smaller than military tires, so 55 mph may be possible.

Regards,
Jon

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jon, congrats of finding such an odd truck. I like the green motors too. At 2400 rpm the detroits sound like the pistons are swapping holes. When considering a wrecker, don't discount the M62. They have te Austin Western crane vs the Garwood on the 543 and 816. There are a few M62s out there repowered with multifuels and a very few repower with the ENDT673. I believe I'd be on the horn to Memphis to see if they know or remember anything from the swap. I'm betting they did many. They might even have some brochures left over from that era. I'll bet that swap was done no later than the 70s.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jon:
I wish I had known you were looking for a wrecker with no engine, an 816 just sold at an Arkansas Forestry auction for $1100 in Little Rock, it was rough but restorable.
James G.

JDToumanian

Wow, an $1100 wrecker? I think I'd have been up for a road trip in my deuce to drag it home!

I spent a little time on Olive Drab looking at the different wreckers... the different series are a bit puzzling to me. For example the M62 and M543 look identical... What's the difference? Just a different builder? I wouldn't think that justifies a new series. The M816 is again the same... except for the longer frame in front to handle the NHC Cummins engine? It looks like the M819 replaced the older M246.

As much as I'd like to put this engine into a wrecker, I can't be too hasty... I still need to do some measuring. Mainly, the drive shaft for the front winch... I don't think there's room for it with the Detroit in there. The alternator is under the air compressor, so there's not much room on the drivers side of the engine. I need to look into relocating the alt. to the other side, which I know is possible, but even then there might be interference with the engine's front gear case. Two-stroke diesels are wide because of the blower and air box... I'd hate to lose the front winch!

Yeah Kenny, 2400 rpm is scary. I wanted to verify that the governor was set at the correct 2300 no load. I got to 2000 rpm and chickened out! It really screams! I don't trust the tach enough to bet the engine on it... but it's probably just that I'm not used to the sound yet. I call the engine my buzzin' half-dozen! 8)

The engine is dated 1977, so I'm guessing at least the engine swap is from around that time. I do indeed want to call Memphis Equipment... because I'm not 100% sure the truck left there with the Detroit in it. It may have left with a Mack or Cummins and the Detroit was swapped in by the shop foreman of whatever company the truck went to work for. There are a couple places where the workmanship of the Detroit's installation is less than what I would expect from Memphis. Buy you never know... And it doesn't matter - anything that is not up to my (slightly higher) standard will be redone.

There's red paint under the yellow, so it would be interesting to ask Memphis about the 'original' owner, too.

Jon

JDToumanian

Yup. Barstow Truck Parts. The price was contingent upon the condition of the engine and a successful test drive. However the mechanic at Barstow who put a battery in it and aired up the tires said that to his knowlege it hadn't moved in 10 years! Typical Detroit, though... Even after sitting that long the engine started with just a bump of the start button.

I was standing by at the emergency air flap, in case the governor was stuck in the full fuel position!

Jon

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jon, off the top of my head I'll try to expain the wreckers I know. The M62 is the older version and was built by Austin Western. I've heard several folks say they are less expensive on parts but I have no proof. The M62 bed looks basically the same but the boom is longer with the hoist mounted at the end of the shipper. That doesn't mean it has more reach, just appears longer. The M543, M543A2, M816 wreckers again share a nearly identical bed but the crane is different. These cranes are build by Garwood. They have the oil tank mounted on the side of the shipper, they have the hoist mounted at the bottom of the shipper and they use 2 smaller lift cylinders where as the M62 has a large single cylinder. Forget the M246 and M819 tractor wreckers, I don't know too much about them.

JDToumanian

Joel - Next time I'm up at Barstow I'll ask about the Hiab, they have several different ones there to chose from. Of course shipping would be an issue, but if the price was right...

As for putting a Hiab on a 5-ton, how would you do it Bjorn? Starting with, say, an M54 cargo truck... Obviously the crane would be behind the cab, but what bed to use? I'm not sure having the crane IN the bed would work, I would think it needs to go between the bed and the cab. Cut the bed shorter? I cant think of a 5-ton equivalent to the pipeline bed you used, and I don't really want to have to make one completely from scratch.

I like the old wreckers, but recognize that a Hiab is more useful. Something to think about anyway...

Regards,
Jon

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
but what bed to use?
An M35 bed would be 2' shorter than the M54 bed.....perhaps that would get you close enough.