• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1963 M37B!

Dead pilot

I just picked up my 63 M37B1 last week and I gotta say I pretty happy with what the condition it is in. When I bought it the guy hooked up two batteries and I turned it over and with two shots of starting fluid she fired up. I shut it down once it fired up since I didnt know anything else about the truck. But all the tires hold air and the brakes worked including the parking brake not bad for 2 plus years of sitting. I have a feeling that this truck was a Marine Corps truck from what I can tell but maybe I can get some more options on that part.

My plans are to get her back up running and painted to Marine Corps colors.

Heres the pics.

20150416_165001.jpg20150416_165011.jpg20150416_165025.jpg20150416_170109.jpg

FrankUSMC

Looks like you did good.
The parts that are damaged are not that hard to find, plus, pat yourself on the back, it still has the swing away spare tire carrier, and the troop racks! The wood is easy to replace, most of the time as some as it leaves the military the first owners throw the racks and swing away tire carrier away.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is going to be a really nice starting point, there is a lot of great potential in that truck for you! Keep us posted!
KK

Dead pilot

Thanks guys.

So here's a question. I've doing some research and see the stock tire size for these were 9.00 x 16 but mine has 11.00 x 16. I like the way the 11.00 x 16 look but I can't seem to find them. Anyone have any sources I can check out?

Dead pilot

So today I was able to get some work done today. I got the carb rebuilt and new plugs put in. I also had to clean out the fuel lines cause I wasn't getting fuel into the carb. I found junk in the lines and in the fuel tank has a ton of sediment in it. And the last owner made a make shift fuel pick up with a filter. The line they used was plugged and the filter was junk. And there was junk in the aftermarket electric fuel pump they put in. So from I can the past owner really neglected her.

But she runs and drives under her own power. It was great feeling getting this beast moving again. I also was able to test winch out to wind it back up. But I can tell there is a lot more work to come.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because these trucks are so simple (compared to current vehicles) I find working on them is almost as much fun as driving them. They are almost like a Lego Trucks (or Tonka Trucks for the old guys) you can drive.

However, I've had my truck for 35 years (and it is my second M-37), so I have acquired a bit of familiarity over the years with mine.

3dAngus

On the tires, i needed some pretty bad as mine was being restored and I wanted some really clean tires.
I kept my eyes out for some M101a1's which have the same tire size, and, the M101A1 is period correct, so it makes for a great companion.
The M101A1's in this area, at the time, had some beautiful Super Lugs on them, and I like them much better than the NDTs.
I took off the 4 Super Lugs and put them on my M37, then put the older NDTs from my M37 on one of the trailers, and gave the other trailer away to a friend where his kid was in love with them. I kept the two tires for spares on the two vehicles though and he obtained tires for the free trailer elsewhere.
M101A1s were very reasonable at the time as everyone wanted the M101A2/3 with surge brakes. Not sure what they go for today. That was a couple of years ago.
Good luck with it. Looks good!

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will second the recommendation for the Super Lugs. I have a set on my truck and trailer and while they make it a little harder to steer at slow speeds or a dead stop, they are much better for traction on wet streets (or ice) and last a lot longer for paved road driving.

Dead pilot

Thanks for input on the tires. I may have found a different way with the tires. The LAV has a similar size tire to 11.00 16 so I going to go to my old unit and see if I snag 5 from them

3dAngus

Ugghhh....
If that means what I think it means....

I don't think we want to hear that. On my Base, the General has made it very clear. If it is in the dumpster, it is still USAF property.

SteveKuhn

Point being, it's not something you post on a public website visited by Google - for a bunch of reasons, not the least of which is the good and welfare of your ex-unit buddies.

At one level or another, it's theft of goobermint property.

Steve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks