• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1st MOD

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Come on now! If your're going to "pimp" the shifter atleast use a hand gernade :-D.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drilling an 8 ball isn't as scary as drilling a hand grenade.:wink:

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, a journey of thousands of miles (or dollars) starts with one small step! You realize now that the ice is broken, you're gonna start looking, then thinking... then... well you can figure the rest out on your own......

I will add some caution and a weird story...

did this mod on my first CJ7 15 years ago and have a nice scar to prove it. 8 ball cracked at the stress from tapping: on new years eve when shifting a VERY cold transmission in northern NY. It sliced off the end of my right hand ring finger....they sewed it back on (10 stitches)...but I am talking about the ENTIRE end of the finger. The 8 ball half was like a sharp glass knife.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will add some caution and a weird story...

did this mod on my first CJ7 15 years ago and have a nice scar to prove it. 8 ball cracked at the stress from tapping: on new years eve when shifting a VERY cold transmission in northern NY. It sliced off the end of my right hand ring finger....they sewed it back on (10 stitches)...but I am talking about the ENTIRE end of the finger. The 8 ball half was like a sharp glass knife.
Well, as it happens, I wanted to use the 8 ball that I had for years in my 72 Blazer on the transfer case. My wife was a Machinary Repairman and drilled/tapped it for me back when we were at NAS Lemoore. I tried it on the M109 and it was too big so I decided to make it work by drilling it out and gluing in the proper sized nut. The old 8 ball couldn't take it and cracked just like you said.

I ordered this one off the net which is poured and designed to be a shift knob. Brass inserts and everything.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks