• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 2008 4speed R1 (and learning)

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a thread on the R1 I just got home yesterday.
One of the reasons I bought it is because it has IP written on the hood.
I have an idea for the IPs that don't look bad, no rust in the gov. housing but will not pump fuel, it is yet to be determined if this is one in that category.
This is one of the most complete "non runners" I have seen, the only things missing are the two rear clearance lights (cut wires what class!), one half shaft and the passenger seat, also missing but stolen after the pictures were taken is the radiator cap and the drivers side rear floor panel (would be a seat back in a 4 door), they also took the 4 mounting screws out of the 4 speed shifter but did not get it :LOL:
They were probably going to come back and finish steeling it but I got there first.
I have not looked at the TCM but it looks undisturbed.
The auction said "engine could not be started" good thing as there is no motor oil or trans fluid showing on the sticks.
Anyhoo a pretty straight ol truck rebuilt in 2008 and showing 15K on the clock so it did get used, the paint around the gauges has not been disturbed so at this point I am ASSUMIMG that is correct.
She has a bunch of goodies one would look for in a NA A2 basic truck, KD smart start, the nice big mirrors, 4 speed, 200A, GEP engine, 80MPH electronic speedo, serpentine belt, LED headlights etc, virtually zero corrosion on the undercarriage
GP actually put most of the stickers on the glass, not on every accessible painted surface as they usually do:mad:
So we will see how this little adventure turns out.
6ddc1cb1-2680-4a17-9963-f39bfade5203.jpg5859fdcc-4ed4-4dd1-b0fb-59918bf3de44.jpged507083-29cd-4df4-a826-5863a44e6845.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had fun unloading it today, the hotshot company that owned my trailer before me put a couple sheets of plywood centered over the axles, not because the deck was bad but to protect the deck, they of course would load smaller heavy loads directly or nearly directly over the axles.
Pam could not get it over the edge of the plywood so I got out and put a boomer handle in front of the front tire and helped her get the truck onto the plywood, well the boomer popped out like a grape and off she went :eek:

Well Pam said "run after it":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
If you met me you would know with my knees I ain't runnin after nuthin.;)
I reminded her the last time I tried to stop a runaway truck it cost me a trip to the ER and 45 stitches in my right leg.
Anyway that was one of the contingencies after all, there was plenty of room and she slowed to a stop about 75 feet from the trailer.

I have been meaning to remove that plywood.........

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Between rain drops I put the R1 into the shop and did a 5 min inspection before getting the dinner bell.
The right front half shaft was not removed, it removed itself so there is that small amount of damage to address but I have bigger fish to fry for now, also that brake line is way too close to the alt, one really needs to look at everything!
IMG_20240619_183213233.jpgIMG_20240619_183338606.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So that 10K GVWR is no joke.
This R1 uses the same engine (GEP serpentine) the same remote type PS pump, the same transfer case, same transmission (4L80) and diffs (2.73) as the later A2 trucks.
BUT it has 10K hubs, brakes (10.5") and half shafts, kinda a psychobilly truck
This means I do have all the parts needed to repair the damage on my parts 3 speed R1 truck, kinda hate to knock it in the head as it runs and drives OK but it is beat to heck and has some bad corrosion on the rear frame and suspension.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
According GP they do not file the SF97 paperwork until the customer picks up the item, I picked it up on Monday and received the SF97 today, if not a record it must be close!
I did notice the fan temp switch is missing, but at least they put in a little plastic plug!

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Army trucks...Fast
Marine trucks......slooooow paperwork.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lug nuts came in yesterday :)
So I installed a fan thermal switch and put some batteries in and all the lights work except for the right headlight, nothing on dim and dim on bright so I am hopeful it is a wiring issue or the next owner will get incandescent headlights as I ain't gunna pay what they want for the trucklite LEDs
I connected power to the trans long enough to confirm I do have a trans light.
So I filled the steering, engine oil and coolant and put some trans fluid in, I also installed a new fuel tank drain plug and that confirmed it had no fuel in it so I dumped in 5 gal.
I waited for the wait light to go out and she fired right up, then stumbled and dies because of the air in the fuel lines, with just a little cranking she fired right up again and runs like a top, she has good oil pressure.
SO I guess I do not get to try my theory on reviving a non pumping IP;)
Now to service the hubs, transfer case and diffs, and form a plan to get the parts to repair the right front brakes.
I think someone is going to end up with a very nice R1..

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According GP they do not file the SF97 paperwork until the customer picks up the item, I picked it up on Monday and received the SF97 today, if not a record it must be close!
I did notice the fan temp switch is missing, but at least they put in a little plastic plug!
They do this little back and forth dance with the SF-97 and Battle Creek to have blank SF-97s presigned and submitted to BC. They get returned and they hold them until the vehicles are physically picked up form auction. Then they start the reassignment or title work process. I've had many SF-97's where the GP signature predates the DRMO/DLA signature.

Also IP = Iron Planet. I've seen many of these LZ Phantom trucks marked that.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I filed form 130-U "application for Texas title" today, total out of pocket $28, much better now that we know what boxes to check :)
The right front drive flange does not look too bad but because I am building this truck for resale I am treating it like I would any other customer vehicle.
So I have ordered a new flange, seal, both of the caliper brackets, rotor and a new caliper.
I should have in on the ground in less than 2 weeks.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy Moly, out of the three other half shafts two of them have loose bolts, they used standard lock washers and I see no evidence of any locking compound :mad:
I was assuming by 2008 they would be using Nord-Lock washers, so all four corners will get all new bolts and Nord-Lock washers on both ends of the half shafts

UPDATE!
I reworked the three shafts that did not come apart and even the one that was not "loose" was not torqued even close to spec, I could easily brake them loose with nothing more than a combination wench and I am old and weak :LOL:
Of the three 3/8 bolts in the hub ends two were loose.

I always use flanged rotor bolts, they get a better grip on the Nord-Lock washers, I have some Nord-Lock washers that have a larger OD and use them on the Dmax powered truck, they fill the entire flange area on the bolt, it is HELL getting them loose and when you finally break the washer bond it sounds just like a dry tree branch snapping, awesome grip!!!

Boy the 1ST CAV was not getting good service that day!!!
I sincerely hop that was ALL the work that crew did, I will have to inspect this thing very thoroughly:eek::(:mad:

Last edited: