• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 802 adventure

serial14

The tail is as old as time here on SS. A little over a year ago I got excited when the first big batch of 802's went to auction from MD. I won 2 of them, and while mine where still in the shipping phase I started reading others stories of 802's from MD. To say the least I was worried. Again, like many who are effected by the OD disease, I had too many toys/projects/rebuilds going on at once and didn't get a chance to even touch the 802s. I capped the exhaust pipes and called it good.

Finally though, the 802's have risen to the top of the project stack. I've appreciated others who have posted their pictures, and so I will try to keep this thread up to date as I progress through my own 802 rebuilds. Can't make any promises how fast it'll go, but I'll do my best to document thing when I get to it.

First two pictures are from a couple months ago when I pulled the exhaust manifold. Exhaust ports were ~70% obstructed with build up. Signs of moisture were also present, so I knew I was in for a full tear down. Remaining pictures were from today and pulling off the head. I have a neighbor who was a Navy Generator Mechanic and he thought with some nice cleanup and rebuild I'd be back in business, so I'm hopeful.

Attachments

cuad4u

In picture #6 is that a cracked cylinder wall? If it is what I think it is it looks like the water in this generator had no anti-freeze and froze and ruined the block. If so this one is (at best) a parts unit.

serial14

Well given the prices that current 802's are going for, especially ones that are likely runners, I could buy a brand new engine and still be ahead. So... I'm willing to give it the wrench and TLC time and see what I can get out of them. At the very least, its a fun new project for me. You can't underestimate the value of that.

'cuad4u' That's a good observation that I'll need to track down. There weren't any obvious cracks in the cylinders that I could see, just rust lines. Once I start cleaning them up a bit I'll certainly check for cracks. As for the antifreeze issue, I can't speak for the generators entire lifetime, but it was last run with antifreeze. I know... cause I drained a fair amount of antifreeze out of the radiator and block.

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There becomes a time, at which it is better to cut your losses. I have a really nice beige 2009 802a with major engine problems. It hurts, but I'm parting it out.....

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks